Author Topic: Stimulation while falling to sleep?  (Read 725 times)

Offline littlegrasshopper

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 12, 2006, 05:52:20 am »
Ok... got myself into a little accidental parenting with the swing. I was using the crib with the pat/shhhh but I guess I got overwhelmed with all the crying. It was too hard to keep at it while caring for my toddler too. So I'm giving it a go again but I'm wondering what it means that my lo stares at the fan and seems to need some activity to fall asleep? When I was taking him into the dark bedroom thinking he was overstimulated he freaked. The other day we were at Chucky Cheese with my toddler and he fell asleep in my arms without even crying.. just looking all around. I'm confused.

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
Stimulation while falling to sleep?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 08:35:59 am »
when dealing with older kids who should have more intact and mature sensory processing (around age 7), i would tell a parent that we all have an "best setting" for getting information from the world.  too much stimuli makes us uncomfortable and we retreat... too little and we seek out more stimuli. 

rocking gives our bodies input because the body uses the movement's inpact on our inner ears to do little background movement calculations to help our awareness of our position in space

that's the science bit which, like i said, doesn't apply brilliantly well.  how old is your lo?  maybe what you need is a mobile over the cot/ some white noise or music playing to send him off to sleep or maybe being in your arms was calming despite the exciting environment.  Swaddling helped us get our ds to "switch off" and sleep until he was about 4 1/2 months

Offline littlegrasshopper

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 00:09:14 am »
Very interesting. Cameron is 3 months old now. I've tried to get him to sleep just holding him or even with me rocking in the chair but he tends to melt down. I was thinking it was because he was overstimulated.. but like I said, he seems ok if I'm holding him and there's still A LOT of activity going on. Today I took my toddler to her gym class and had him in a Bjorn. He was looking all around and after a while fell asleep without any crying?? So odd.