Author Topic: New at sleep training and I need so much help  (Read 1266 times)

Offline SleeplessSam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
New at sleep training and I need so much help
« on: January 12, 2006, 20:04:04 pm »
Hi all,
I am so desperate.  I have a 6 mo old who has always been a decent sleeper. She goes to bed awake and goes to sleep no problem at night.  She has never wanted to nap in her crib which maybe issue #1.
She has gone through several growth spurts but always bounces back into her routine at the end.  Lately we travelled for the holidays and it seemed to throw her schedule off.  We've been back for three weeks and her schedule is just getting worse and worse.  We went from 1-2 feedings in the night to every two hours all night long.  She wakes screaming whereas she used to just make noise until I got up.  I don't know what the heck happened or what to do about it.  Sometimes I go in and she's not even hungry...it's like she just wants me in the room.  So my question is...how do I stop this?  Is there a method I should be using?  Help!!
TIA

Offline B1PZNT49

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 01:09:08 am »
i would say she is teething...especially if she is not interested in the bottle....i found nighttime orajel worked wonders!

FrasersMum

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:37:08 am »
Hi SleeplessSam

OK - let's see what we can do to help you out.  Can you give me some more information

What is your daytime like?  If DD doesn't nap in the cot during the day where is she napping?  For how long?  Growth spurts are common around 6 months - are you trying to feed more during the day?  Have you recently introduced solids? 

Let me know and we'll see what we can come up with for you

Jo

Offline SleeplessSam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 15:49:13 pm »
Hi, sorry it took me so long to answer.  My computer has been down.
Our daytime routine...we are following EASY.  We have been for months.  DD naps anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes depending on the time of day.  Our one problem is that she naps in a swing.  We tried to move her to the crib and that seems to be what ruined her night sleep so we're back to the swing until we straighten nights out again.  Then I'll have to slowly wean her from the swing. 
At first I thought maybe she wasn't getting enough calories in the day so I started feeding every 1.5 hours for a few hours before bed.  Now for the last three nights she goes to bed at 7 and has been up at 10, 1 and 4.  I feed her at 10 and 4 and am trying to wean her off of the 1am feeding by picking herup, using a soother (takes about 1 min now) to comfort her, taking the soother out and putting her back to bed.  Seems to be working.  Then I thought I'd wean off of the 10pm feed as well.  I find by 4 she's really hungry though...she's on rice cereal twice/day and everything. 
2 notes...she is teething but has been for months and slept fine until about a month ago.  Also we did introduce solids but not until after this started in hopes that it might help her night hunger (and it has a little).
Thanks so much.

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:40:10 am »
i think i would keep the 10pm feed as a dream feed for now and try to get rid of the 4am feed.  is she drinking a lot at these feeds or just taking sips?

also, when are you feeding her solids?  i would give her cereal for dinner to give her extra calories for the night.

Offline SleeplessSam

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 15:09:34 pm »
She has solids at breakfast and dinner.  Just rice cereal.  Maybe I should up the amount at dinner.  She just started the dinner feeds last weekend and is only getting a tablespoon.  I've got her down to 10pm and 2am now and she's eating at both feeds.  Maybe she's just a hungry baby...