Author Topic: Success with formula at night for longer sleep?  (Read 792 times)

Offline ava's maman

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Success with formula at night for longer sleep?
« on: January 13, 2006, 06:47:16 am »
I BF exclusively but have tried once or twice to feed DD a bottle of formula at night to see if she would sleep longer but she only took 3 and 2 ounces  so it didn't do much, but if I were to get her to eat more, does it really work?  I got scared off formula because DD was constipated for 3 days and on day 3 it ALL came out! 

Also any tips for a smooth, no constipation transition to the one bottle of formula:?

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 14:58:56 pm »
How old is your little one? Any substitution of BF with formula will result in a decrease in supply and early on that can really adversely affect your supply. If you are needing LO to sleep so you can get some uninterrupted zz's maybe pump a bottle daily and have someoen else give the bottle to LO? Just a couple thoughts.
Jeni

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 19:31:49 pm »
I actually read something to the contrary, that at around 8 weeks breastfed and bottlefed babies sleep about the same during the night. You'll always find the exception though!

If you really have to do the substitution, you should try a different formula. There are many types and kinds. Or you could even pump if you are concerned about volume given at that last feed.

I don't think formula has some magic power that makes babies sleep during the night. Babies might just get a little more to help them go longer, but some babies can't handle the stomach upset formula can give.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies