Author Topic: Frequent naps -- DS "needs" 5 or 6 a day?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Frequent naps -- DS "needs" 5 or 6 a day?
« on: January 15, 2006, 01:14:21 am »
Wow, I'm getting dizzy reading the schedule!!!!

My first thought is that if he's going back to sleep only half an hour after waking at 6AM, maybe he'd go back down if you fed him and treated it as a night waking? That might give him enough extra sleep to manage a longer Awake time next go-round. If he only sleeps another 45 minutes, I wouldn't bother feeding him again when he wakes; just kind of "fake" it till he's due for his next feed, especially if he's awake and asleep for such short times.

Another thought: since his sleep and activity times are messed up anyway, just try spacing his feeds further apart. I'm guessing that you feed one side, change him, and then feed the other side, since there's a 15-min feed with a space and then another feed a few minutes later a lot of times? I'd just go ahead and feed him both sides at once unless he's got some significant gas or reflux issues, in which case you're probably doing the more sensible thing.

And crazy as this sounds, is he getting lots of tummy time while awake? That kind of exercise, needing to lift his head and neck and grow and tone those muscles, is going to make him good and tired, and hopefully more prone to more restorative (and extended? :)) sleep.

Oh, and maybe it's because my eyes won't stay open much longer, but what are the time notations after things on your schedule?

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Frequent naps -- DS "needs" 5 or 6 a day?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 01:26:39 am »
Thanks for responding Deb. Sorry our schedule made you dizzy! I'll read through what you said, but just wanted to clarify that the (hours mins) after his schedule lines are the length of times since he last ate or napped. Writing that in made it a lot easier for me to compare days rather than saying "oh, he slept from 7.15am to 8am here, so that's 45 mins, and 9.10 - 9.55am here, so that's 45 mins too..."

I appreciate your advice!

Katriona