Author Topic: Using paci/rocking to get through till 6am  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Emma1

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Using paci/rocking to get through till 6am
« on: January 16, 2006, 11:40:30 am »
Hi all,
My 14wk DD has been putting on weight steadily (14lbs) and was going from dreamfeed to 4am each night. At this time she wasn't crying as she usually would if she were hungry during the day, and was only taking 2/3oz on waking, so I thought that perhaps she wasn't hungry - just needed resettling.

Tracy recommended using a paci to get her through, and so for the past four nights we have been going in and putting the paci back in.  However, when not grumbling that the paci has fallen out, Evie just ends up sucking really hard until we feed her at 6am, and we really have to be with her for these 2hrs, rocking and putting paci back in.  She is then grotty for the rest of the day as she really hasn't had her fill of zzzz's!!  Even when she wakes at 6am, she only takes 2/3 oz still!

Should I feed her at 4am or persevere with this sleep training!  I am exhausted and need to know if/when it will end!! 

If it makes any difference, she goes to bed at 6pm.

Emma
Mummy to Evelyn Daisy 11th October 2005

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Using paci/rocking to get through till 6am
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:59:12 am »
At 14weeks your LO may need that middle of the night feeding, sometimes 2-3 oz is enough. If your LO is sucking hard at the paci, or even spitting it out, she's hungry.
Its not unusual for babies to take smaller amounts in the night, or even for their first feeding. I'd recomend you feed her at 4am. That way you both get the sleep you need.
maybe try the paci again in a couple weeks.

HTH
Kimberly