Author Topic: wake to sleep technique  (Read 1391 times)

Offline kimkiaria

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
wake to sleep technique
« on: January 18, 2006, 14:32:48 pm »
Just curious if anyone has tried this technique.  I've created a waking habit for my 4 1/2 month old.  He wakes pretty much the same time every night, which Tracy says is indicative of accidental parenting.  I have a hard time distinquishing between letting him settle himself back to sleep and letting him "cry it out."  Any tips on the wake to sleep method would be helpful.  I'm gearing up to try it this weekend when I'll have some back up.
Hank and Townes' mom

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
wake to sleep technique
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 05:07:59 am »
i too have been thinking about trying this but wanted to see what successes and failures i can come across so i know what i am in for!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Nicola_G

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
wake to sleep technique
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 09:57:03 am »
Hi ladies,

I too started to see this pattern of habitual waking at around 4 months, it was quite easy to identify once I had read the book because ds was waking at exactly the same time each night, give or take about 30 minutes either way!

I was a little scared to try the wake to sleep initially, so instead I took a less radical approach and simply went to him and settled him without the feed which I had been giving. He protested hotly the first night, but I stayed with him and pat/shh'd to settle. The second night, same thing but less painful to settle. By the end of the week, he wasn't waking anymore.

I think if you can identify it as habitual, it is relatively painless to break the habit. Just stay strong!
Nicola
Mum to Tyson Luke, born August 1, 2005
In the Australian bush

Offline kimkiaria

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: wake to sleep technique
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 15:19:49 pm »
Good news, everyone!  Townes slept from 7pm to 7am last night.  To be honest, I didn't use the w2s technique.  My problem was that I wasn't giving him a chance to settle himself down before I ran in there to pop in his pacifier.  It was difficult at times to wait it out, but in the end we're both sleeping much better.  So, hang in there all-nighters!  It can be done.
Hank and Townes' mom

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 15:34:28 pm »
good for you guys!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 16:32:23 pm »
hi all!

Kimkiaria- i have that problem, DS wakes up at exactly 4:30am just for his paci, and i go at about 1 min. of hearing him, and i just put the paci in, and he goes rigth back to sleep, what shoudl i do? should i let him fuss a lot, what if he starts crying really bad? I'm afraid that if i don't put the paci it will take ages for him to settle down and i won't get any sleep... oh well... i guess i should do what you did... it's for the better...

Offline kimkiaria

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 19:02:29 pm »
I agree with Stacy on the different types of crying thing.  Like you, it was difficult for me to listen and not go in because I thought the longer I let it go the harder it would be for him to calm back down.  But, it worked whenever I relaxed a bit.  It wasn't a quick fix, though.  It took about a month for the full night's sleep to come about.  So, hang in there and trust yourself. 
good luck.
Hank and Townes' mom

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 00:13:46 am »
HI!

Well just wanted to update on the NO-paci at night.... it all went pretty smooth, he cried once at 4:30, waited a bit went in tucked his blanket ( no paci) and he went of to sleep until 7:20am!!! and the next day he didn't even wake at all until 7:30!!!! let's see tonight!!
Thank you ladies