Author Topic: getting rid of nighttime feedings  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Rogan's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
getting rid of nighttime feedings
« on: January 18, 2006, 17:46:23 pm »
My three and a half month old, Rogan, is on a good daytime routine and naps well. We just recently taught him how to sleep on his own, which has made our lives so much easier. Now we just have to swaddle him and put him in his crib and he goes off to sleep normally without any extra help from us. The problem is, he wakes up around three times a night (sometimes only twice and sometimes four times). I do worry that I'm going to him before he's fully crying and that I should wait longer in case he puts himself back to sleep and am working on that. However, often we'll go to him and he'll need to be changed and then starts screaming on the change table because he's hungry. He seems to eat full feedings when I feed him at night (he's breastfed so I don't know exactly how much is going in). I've been trying to up his calories during the day, but needs some advice as to how to start stopping the nighttime feeds. Please help, I'd love to be sleeping for longer than three hours at a time...

Offline NikkiS

• Showing Appreciation 0
Night Wakings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 20:32:17 pm »
I sympathize with you completely!  We've finally got our 13 week old from a 2 hour schedule to 3 hour.  Unfortunately, our nights have suffered- she's now waking 2-3 times taking short feeds  instead of once.  I'm trying to figure out how to up her calories as well during the day - she's b/f too.  Good luck!
Nikki
Mom to Emma 10-14-05

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: getting rid of nighttime feedings
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 23:06:14 pm »
They may both be goign through a 3month growth spurt... But also bf babies do often need 2-3 night time feeds at night (despite what lots of books say) If he is waking with a bm, that normally means hunger, so yes you do need to feed.
If they start waking at exactly the same time (+/- 5mins) then it could be a habit, otherwise, if you can't settle in in a few minutes I would suggest feeding, as they must need it

Re going from 2-3 EASY, it can take awhile for your supply to adjust, just offer as small a feed as possible in the night.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 05:09:13 am »
I agree that babies that age may need to wake to eat more at night, especially breastfed babies. One thing I would suggest is that you don't change your LO at night unless you have to, like they are soaked through, or are poopy. The reason for this is that when you change them it tends to wake them up more, and then you have a cranky, overtired, and hungry baby.

When you put your LO down at night whats your bedtime routine? and do you dreamfeed?
both these may help your LO know the difference between a nap and overnight sleeping.

I also agree that it could be a growth spurt, and it may also be teething.
Kimberly

Offline Rogan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 01:41:23 am »
I'm hoping and thinking it was a growth spurt. Last night we got 6 hours straight and then another 3 so maybe we're getting on the right track... Also, the last two nights he's stopped pooping at night which really helps!