Author Topic: L/O can't settle 'cos of horrible cough ! Ideas????  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Liz R

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
L/O can't settle 'cos of horrible cough ! Ideas????
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:30:30 am »
Hi,
Jake has had another cold, seems like we just pass it 'round the family!
But this time with it he's got this terrible croupy sounding cough like a dog barking! It kept us all awake last night as he would cough, wake,cry,cough harder, cry harder, cough more etc etc.........
I had to sit by his cot holding his hand and holding his dummy in with my other hand. Now I am scared I'll be doing that forever!
I am a bit cross, 'cos we had lost the dummy altogether,but he really needed some comfort.we're off to the doc's later but, any ideas how to help him greatly appriciated...........
Liz

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel
Ellie   18/11/1997 Spirited
Jacob 09/07/2005 Spirited

s_olano00

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 11:35:43 am »
Liz,

A humidifier could help. DD had a cold last December and she had a really bad cough as well and she would wake up in the middle of the night coughing her lungs out. I didn't help that she usually has this fake cough (like an old lady's cough) that she makes to call my attention, so if you add the two, nights were pretty bad.

Our Ped recommended to make her room humid by wetting a towel and putting it on top of the radiator, but some days later we got a humidifier and in 2 days, her cough improved considerably up to the point that now she rarely coughs in the middle of the night :D

Also, DD got some cough syrup that we had to give it twice a day. I would give it to her in the morning and in the night before going to sleep and, strangely, our Ped told me that I shouldn't give it to her before going to sleep because it would upset her tummy, so I would also recommend you to check with your Ped if the meds that your LO will get have a similar trick.

Hope your LO feels better soon  :wink:

Offline sally & savannah

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 16:12:36 pm »
Hi Liz

I just wanted to wish you well, we are in the same situation and its so tiring and stressful.  I haved raised savannahs mattress, done the tea towel thing.  Have been advised today by a friend to put a big bowl of boiling water in the room with some vicks in it and that should help also!!

I cannot leave Savannah to cry or resettle herself as that makes her cough then throw up :(  :( .

I have been reassured by various sources that they should go back to their routine if you are strong afterwards - here's hoping!!!

love sally

Offline Mommy in Moose Jaw

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: L/O can't settle 'cos of horrible cough ! Ideas????
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 22:01:21 pm »
Our dd hasn't been sick often, but when she had a cough, the only thing that worked was a little cough medicine (1/5 dose for a 6 year old) and a giant pillow stuffed into her crib to prop her up.  The pillow was a couch pillow and was wider than the crib, so very tight fit.  She ended up on about a 40 degree incline but slept WONDERFULLY (almost better than when she is well!)

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 22:38:13 pm »
we found benylin cough and cold great!!!  However, that depends if you are okay giving meds.  HOpe he feels better soon for all of you!

Offline Liz R

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 15:24:56 pm »
thanks everyone!!!
(been waiting for site to update to reply- how fab by the way!) can I just clarify, some mummies have given a 1 yr plus cough medicine to a under 1? I was wondering if this would be ok as am getting to my wits end! If someone has chance can they let me know what dosgae to do please?
Liz.

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel

s_olano00

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 15:37:30 pm »
Liz,

Has the cough gotten any better?

I would strongly advise you to ask your doctor to recommend a medicine for your LO's cough and the correct dosage (even if it's an over the counter medicine).

Offline Liz R

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 15:43:13 pm »
Hi,
It's still the same in my opinion. He saw the Doc on Fri, she checked his chest. and was happy there was no infection.She gave me a glycerol medicine, but it makes no real difference.He is just so congested.
Liz

Chloe 18/07/1994 Angel

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 18:06:57 pm »
Upon advice  from the pharmacist, he said giving Benylin cough and cold for children would be okay.....just perhaps give slightly less than what is recommended if your lo has not reached the weight requirements.   However, you may want to check with your local pharmacist.  I found this brand great because it lasts 12 hours and the medicine is apparently released in small doses over that time period.    Good luck!!  My mom would recommend camomile tea but who knows...could be just an old fashioned remedy that may or may not work!

Offline LynnT

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 10:05:28 am »
Have you tried a saline solution. Takes a few days but cleans out the nose and this normally sorts out the cough. Humidifier is a good idea as well. In SA I buy a brand called SALEX, not sure what it is called elsewhere.
Paige - 09-12-2002
Zoe - 15-03-2005