Author Topic: blister with older nursling...  (Read 779 times)

Judy

blister with older nursling...
« on: January 21, 2006, 11:46:10 am »
Ok so the girls are 9months and I NOW have a sore blister on my one nipple.  Oh and I might add they both have FOUR teeth - which is why I have a blister.  I don't use any lanolin anymore - should I get some?  It's really painful and not going away on it's own it seems.  I'm a little nervous about getting an infection from it (is this possible?) I had a plugged duct last week - painful!!  but was first worried this is what happened so now it's on my mind.

Sometimes with the morning or bedtime feed they'll fall asleep (or back to sleep) while nursing and can go on for a LONG time (I just unlatched Hannah after 50 - FIFTY!! minutes) and unlatching a baby with teeth, who doens't want to be unlatched is a painful process!!!  As is nursing for FIFTY minutes!

suggestions?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Re: blister with older nursling...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 13:45:32 pm »
OW!  That sounds really uncomfortable!  I have no personal experience with this, but I found this link on all sorts of breast blisters...
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

Sounds more like a friction blister, and you might want to try unlatching a bit sooner...  DD also has teeth and could nurse for an hour if I let her!  Watch the latch, and break off after a reasonable amount of time, is all I can really suggest for prevention.  Keep the blister clean and watch yourself for any signs of mastitis (hot, red breasts, fever....).  HTH a bit!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha