Author Topic: Days and nights suddenly confused!?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Chris w/ Matthew

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Days and nights suddenly confused!?
« on: January 22, 2006, 18:03:20 pm »
Hi all,
I'm new here and have a huge problem all of a sudden!  My 9-week old seems to have confused his days and nights and I am at my wits' end!  I am trying to implement E.A.S.Y., and I also just (a week ago or so) transitioned DS from his swing to his crib at night.  Here's how the last 36 hours or so have looked:

- ate at 11:00pm, fell asleep at about 11:30pm, woke at 12:45am
- cried until 1:45am when I fed him
- cried until 2:30am, slept until 3:30am
- cried until 4:45am when I fed him
- cried until 5:40am, then slept until 10:30am when I woke him up
- ate, then I kept him awake for playtime until 11:45am
- napped until 2:00pm, when I woke him again
- ate, kept him awake for playtime until 3:00pm, then he slept until 5:00pm when I woke him
- ate, then played until 6:30pm
- slept until 8:30pm, played until 9:40pm
- slept until 10:40pm, cried until 11:40pm then ate
- cried until 12:15am, then slept until 2:15am
- cried until 2:45am when I fed him
- fell asleep on his own right after eating, and slept from 3:00am until 4:00am
- cried until 5:30am when I fed him again, then cried for another half hour until he fell asleep at 6:00am
- slept until 10:00am when I woke him to eat
- that brings us to right now (10:45am), and he is sitting next to me in his bouncy chair, 1/2 awake and 1/2 asleep

Notes:
- all feeding amounts are between 4 - 5.5 oz (generally 5oz)
- when I feed him at night it is because he is showing signs of hunger by then, and his pacifier is not easing his crying anymore
- when he is awake at night and crying, I am trying shh/pat (hates it most of the time), pu/pd (stopped that quickly when I realized it made him cry harder), pacifier (can't hold it in on his own and cries and wakes as soon as it falls out or I take it away), leaving a light on, turning all lights off, background noise, no background noise, leaving the room to see if he stops on his own, sitting next to him and just letting him cry...nothing seems to work!!
- when he wakes and cries, I wait to go to him until I am sure he is not going to fall asleep on his own, as he occasionally does
- I am waking him at certain times in hopes of teaching him that he can't sleep all day, as he gladly would
- all sleeping happens in his crib now

So I've had 13 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours, which I'm sure could be worse, but...I feel like crap and the tiny amount of patience I had to begin with is wearing very thin.  When he was sleeping in his swing, which was in motion all night, he was sleeping from 11pm - 6 or 7am, eating, then going back to sleep for another 3-4 hours.  I expected some night waking once I got him to sleep in his crib, but this is nuts.  Each night seems to be worse than the night before.  I started waking him after 2 hours of napping during the day in hopes of him being more tired at night, and it didn't work.  When he's crying at night, it seems to be evenly split between crying because he's tired, and crying because he wants to play with me and I won't talk to or make eye contact with him.  Please help me guys, what am I doing wrong?!?

*edit* I should also add that DS does not allow himself to be swaddled anymore - he doesn't like being confined by blankets.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 18:22:07 pm by Chris w/ Matthew »

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Days and nights suddenly confused!?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:04:17 am »
It is a hard situation, but sounds like the 2 are confused.

When you deal with him at night, make sure you do it in the dark, no real talking & minimal interaction.

throughtout the day...including day naps, lots of light & upbeat. I wouldn't let him sleep any longer than 1.5 hours & keep the A time at 1-1.5 hours... even if that means feeding at 2.5 hour intervals at some stages.

Start your day around 7am (or the time that works for you adjust to fit 12 hours of night & 12 of day) feed & down for a nap... repeat that cycle (looking at his "tired cues" rather than the clock) until 6pm or there abouts & give him a bath & bed around 7pm

DON'T feel sorry for him that he has had a bad night sleep & offer more in the day AS THAT WILL KEEP THE CYCLE GOING. You will almost definitely have a few hard days BUT surely that is better than the nights you seem to be having

HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chris w/ Matthew

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 06:05:59 am »
It is a hard situation, but sounds like the 2 are confused.

When you deal with him at night, make sure you do it in the dark, no real talking & minimal interaction.

throughtout the day...including day naps, lots of light & upbeat. I wouldn't let him sleep any longer than 1.5 hours & keep the A time at 1-1.5 hours... even if that means feeding at 2.5 hour intervals at some stages.

Start your day around 7am (or the time that works for you adjust to fit 12 hours of night & 12 of day) feed & down for a nap... repeat that cycle (looking at his "tired cues" rather than the clock) until 6pm or there abouts & give him a bath & bed around 7pm

DON'T feel sorry for him that he has had a bad night sleep & offer more in the day AS THAT WILL KEEP THE CYCLE GOING. You will almost definitely have a few hard days BUT surely that is better than the nights you seem to be having

HTH

I am already dealing with him quietly, in the dark (as much as possible) and with no eye contact.  I think he has a fear of the dark or something though, he really screams when all the lights in the house are off.  So we have an orange night light on his baby monitor, and we are leaving his bedroom curtains open - for his benefit and mine.  This way I can see him when I feed him at least - I'd hate to stick the nipple of the bottle in his ear or something *L*  Even with the curtains open, it's still dark enough that I can just barely see the big things in the room.  Definately better than leaving the lamp on in his room like we were doing.

I am all for not letting him nap for more than 90 minutes during the day, but the problem I keep running into is that I cannot keep him awake when he wants to sleep!  Even after a 2.5 hour nap today, he ate and was asleep before I could even burp him.  Nothing that I tried would keep him awake.  How do I handle this?

Thank you so much for your advice!  I've really been questioning everything I've been doing with him lately, this has been so hard.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 10:34:15 am »
Sounds like it really is into a cycle. If it was me, I would bath him maybe twice a day or take him in a shower with you...hard for them to stay awake with that going on :) let him lie on the floor with his nappy off (on a plastic mat)

I know it isn't ideal, but so he has more awake time in the day, when he wakes off give him 15min before you feed him, or if he is really upset give him a bit of the feed & then play with him & a bit more & stretch it out.

What you ideally want to do is try to get at least 6 hours (ideally 8) of awake time during the day time hours, so if feeding puts him to sleep, stop feeding & play.

Even if you have to do AES for a while so he gets more day awake time, it will be easier to go back to EAS when you are more rested with nighttime sleep... hang in there.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 13:03:38 pm »
Also make sure that your wind down for naps is different then your wind down for bed. Sometimes if they are the same LO's get the idea that bedtime is just another nap.
Kimberly