Author Topic: Wake to sleep not working, don't know what to do next...  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Raquelita1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Wake to sleep not working, don't know what to do next...
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:32:20 am »
Hello, i'm just at a loss to know what to do next with dd waking up every morning way before her first feed is due.  She is now 5 months old and stopped feeding in the night at 2 months.  We still DF but this is very small these days - about 4oz.  Our day starts at 8am (supposedly), but for weeks and weeks she has been waking up at 6.30/6.45, chattering away and is almost impossible to put back to sleep - the only thing that works is for me to sit with her in my arms, still swaddled and in the dark.  For the last 4 nights i have been getting up at 5.30am to do wake to sleep, but there is absolutely no improvement.  In fact today she woke at 6.15.  I haven't fed her at all when she wakes up - I'm sure she'd drink some if it was offered, but i really don't believe she is starving hungry as sometimes she doesn't even take a full bottle of 8oz at 8am.  I'm also scared to get into a habit of her expecting a feed at 6.30am.  In Tracey's book it says if the wake-up time is always the same then it's a habit, not necessarily hunger. 

So where do i go now?  Do i keep going with WTS and for how long (even though i just don't believe it will work), do i need to fully wake her up at 5.30am instead (and then spend however long it takes getting her back to sleep, in the hope she will then go through to 8am), do i drop the dream feed (could it be that the DF is disturbing her sleep pattern?), or what else could i do????  Waking up early like this is just throwing all of the routine off track as she's due her naps practically straight after she's fed, which isn't ideal during the daytime.  Please help me, i'm just so tired and confused!  Txs

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Wake to sleep not working, don't know what to do next...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 11:09:31 am »
In all honesty it depends what time her bedtime is as 6.30/6.45 is actually a very Natural biological time for babies to wake up & unless she goes to bed after 8pm then I don't think you will be able to change it much & even if her bedtime is 8.30pm or later...well nature may be stronger than your desires. If WTS isn't working & you are sure it isn't hunger, then maybe tweeking her day routine might help...but can't say it will though.

Please post a typical day routine & I will try to offer suggestions
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Raquelita1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Wake to sleep not working, don't know what to do next...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 10:33:37 am »
Hi Kate

Thanks for your reply.  Well things seem to have improved a little - though i don't want to speak too soon.  Basically after 4 nights of failed WTS we decided to try dropping the dream feed.  That was on Tuesday night, having made sure she was well tanked up on milk and some solids throughout the day.  What do you know - she slept till about 7am the following morning.  It didn't work perfectly on Wednesday night - she woke up screaming at 9.40pm having gone to bed at 8pm (but the DF wouldn't have been till 11pm anyway) - very unusual for her to do this.  I fed her to get her back to sleep, and again she went through till near enough 7am.  On Thursday night she woke up at midnight screaming, and this time we decided that we'd see if we could resettle without feeding, figuring that she doesn't cry when she's hungry and anyway she'd eaten a whopping 28.5oz of milk through the day plus 11oz of solids, so it must be something else.  Within 10 minutes dh had calmed her back to sleep without lifting her out of the cot.  Last night was Friday night and she slept from 8pm to 7.15am - then after a little bit of cooing dozed lightly till 8am when we went in to get her up and feed her.  So all I can guess is that the DF was actually disrupting her sleep rhythm.  As i say, i don't want to count my chickens, but i'll enjoy this while i can. 

Please keep your fingers crossed for me everyone....!  ;)