Author Topic: Refusing all solids  (Read 1502 times)

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Refusing all solids
« on: January 24, 2006, 22:15:17 pm »
Hi,
I had wrote in a couple days ago about my ds(6months2weeks) not eating veg, but now he won't eat any solids.  Not even his fruit.  As soon as I put the spoon to his mouth he starts to scream and clench his lips together and blows out making a spitting noise.  He is only taking about 3 to 4 oz of formula at a feeding and getting up 3 times a night to eat.  He did cut 2 bottom teeth 5 days ago, which is when this all started.  He was taking everything fine and really enjoyed eating.  He is also sooooo fussy, screaming and crying like he is in pure pain.  Could it be just his teeth?  If it is how long will it last and how long before I should worry about him not eating (solids).  His nose is pretty stuffy as well, which I think is causeing him to have troubles to breath while taking his formula.  Should I just stop trying to give him solids for a couple days and then start all over?  He has been on cereal and fruit since 3 1/2 months of age.
If anyone could offer advice or just let me know I am not alone in this, I would be greatful.  I am a young, new mom and live away from family and am sooo confused.
Thank you
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Refusing all solids
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 03:11:45 am »
My DD stopped eating solids entirely for around a week when we were having teeth/cold issues.  She went back to it when she was done.  I would worry more about liquids at this point - sounds like he's getting them all one way or another.  You can try using a nasal aspirator (one of those bulb things that sucks snot out of their noses) before giving him his bottle so he can breathe more easily while eating.  You can also try pain meds if you think it's the teeth.  If he just got his bottom two, maybe the top two aren't far behind?  I know those were the worst for Katie.  I've heard some moms say that their LOs did better with finger food during teething - you can try things like cold soft fruits and veggies (the cold will feel good on his gums). 

Basically, you're not alone in this!  He will start eating again when whatever is bothering him feels better!  Oh, and if he's got a cold, my ped told me that they are less hungry then b/c all the mucous running from their noses fills up their tummies (gross I know).  If he's acting in a way that worries you, or if he won't take enough fluids, give your doctor a call, just for some peace of mind if nothing else. 

Hmmm...I feel like I just completely rambled on, so hope this helps!

Offline beccarman

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • happy families!!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 18:34:43 pm »
i agree, fluids are always the best bet. try offering different solids little and often (not too often though as he might get put off even more!) some teething gel might be a good idea and maybe something to chew on like bread sticks or rice cakes, these might offer some relief from any teething pain but also get a little bit of food into his tummy.
my dd has had a cold for a long time, some days she is very off her food and some days not, they know when they are hungry so don't worry about him going hungry, he'll let you know! i know this will sound gross, but, sucking snot and mucous from their nose with your mouth is a really good way of clearing their nose for them and means you don't have to spend money on an aspirator...true mummy sacrifice or what!!!
i hope it gets better soon,
bec xxx

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 18:38:49 pm »
Hi there,

Arwyn refused all her solids when she was sick too... just BF the entire week when the cold was really bad. Anyhow, she resumed taking solids for a while and then the second time she refused her solids was because she wanted to feed herself. I started to cook mushy veggies and gave her more finger foods. Now, she will feed herself and refuses everything other than cereal and yogurt via spoon!

Oh... when she had her cold, we elevated her mattress with a phone book under it.

HTH
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 18:42:11 pm »
Thank you for all your feedback.  I appreciate the support.
He did take his cereal and fruit last night and again this morning.  He won't take his cereal without fruit.  So I think I will just do this for a couple days then reintroduce veg again.  I really with I could have started the veg first.
Again thank you for your quick responses.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80