Author Topic: Not sleeping when away from home.  (Read 915 times)

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Not sleeping when away from home.
« on: January 24, 2006, 22:49:15 pm »
I would appreciate your stories and comments on the situation i am sure everyone has been and is going through. Catherine is a great sleeper (95% of the time) and has always been that way. She use to sleep anywhere in her pram when we were out, in the car and in the portacot my parents have at their house. I made a point of doing that from an early age as young as 2 weeks to get her use to it.
HOWEVER recently Catherine has decided that she no longer wants to sleep in the pram while shopping their is to much for her to look at. I am lucky to get half an hour sleep out of her. That is not the biggest issue as over the last few weeks she has decided she no longer wants to sleep at my parents house. When they put her down she screams blue murder so they had to resort to rocking her to sleep (i have never done this). She use to go down for me at mum and dads with minimal fuss but today i put her down she did the same to me.
I don't want this to become a habit and i refuse to sit at home and not be able to go out every now and then. I also don't want her to start hating going to my parents house as we are their at least once a week.
How did you overcome this and please tell me they grow out of it and it is just a phase she is going through.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Not sleeping when away from home.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 16:13:59 pm »
Hi Natasha,
     It is hard to stick to a routine when there are outings and errands to be done. The best advice I can give is try and go out when it is activity time and not nap time. As they get older, they stay awake for longer and sleep a little less. This time won't last forever and your little one will be much happier when she gets her naps. As for your parents house, try to do a wind down routine similiar to the one you do at home, make sure the environment encourages sleep and just stick to it. My ds had problems sleeping at other people's houses for awhile, but as long as we stick to nap times, don't push him, and try to wind him down the same each time, he is getting better.

Hope this helps!
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

Offline home alone

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Re: Not sleeping when away from home.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 14:05:48 pm »
I just wanted to say I am in a very similar situation.  My lo is 21wk old and always slept well in her pram ( actually better) but recently takes catnaps even though I never stop the whole time.  I have been trying to get out during her A time but it's still very short and she falls asleep on the way home. So, I get her up and do another 10min A time before I put her to sleep at home.   
Have you had any alternative solutions?
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]