Author Topic: Want to wean 10 mth old from breast to bottle  (Read 1328 times)

Offline DJDG's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Want to wean 10 mth old from breast to bottle
« on: January 25, 2006, 05:12:49 am »
Hi,
I would really like to start weaning my 10 month old from breast to bottle. From the time he was born he would not take a bottle, I tried everything, I must own every brand of bottles you can find, including the Haberman feeder! I have started to give him one everyday and he'll drink maybe 2 to 3 ounces and then he loses interest. I enjoyed every minute of breast feeding but I would like to have a break and be able to go out for more than four hours maybe! Any suggestions on how to wean my strictly breast fed baby would be appreciated!

Thanks
Tara

Offline MelissaS

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Want to wean 10 mth old from breast to bottle
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 13:07:53 pm »
Just a quick question - would you be interested in weaning to a cup instead of a bottle - he may take to it as it is completely different from the bottle and breast, he might even see it as a novelty.

You could try the sippy/straw cups - different ones suit different babies.

Our DS uses a straw cup really well and loves to blow bubbles as well as drink out of it.

Anyway I am sure you will receive lots of good suggestions,

:) Byeeee
Melissa
(Mum to David 20/02/2005 - mostly spirited/textbook)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 19:22:01 pm »
At 10 months, he should be able to take milk out of a cup just fine in your absence. He can even be fed solids instead of nursing and wait to nurse when you return. I found that around 10 months life got so easy with much more flexible babies. Dh could handle them for a morning if I wanted to shop with my mom or whatever.

It isn't all or nothing, ya know, breastfeeding or not. You could even preserve the feeds you like and do a cup for the other ones.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 19:32:45 pm »
My lo isn't that old, but the only formlua he would take is similac advance, we tried 3 kinds and that was the only one he showed any interest in.  Gerber breastfed baby bottles work best for us... but i think the other moms have good advice on maybe just using a sippy cup.

Good luck,

Jodie
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline DJDG's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:26:11 am »
Thanks for the info! I've tried some sippy cups but not the ones with the straws, he might like those because he won't have to tilt them upwards. When I do give him a bottle or sippy cup he likes to hold it himself but he doesn't understand that he has to tilt it upwards. Life has definitely become easier since he's been on solids and I can go out more often but if I go out before his bed time I feel badly about not being able to give him a feeding. Anyways, tomorrow I'll be on my way to buy a new sippy cup with the straw!!! Thanks again,

Tara
Tara

Offline MelissaS

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 06:52:43 am »
Let us know how you go - it may take a few trys and might surprise him when he first drinks  ;D

Melissa
(Mum to David 20/02/2005 - mostly spirited/textbook)