Author Topic: grasping object  (Read 1268 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
grasping object
« on: January 25, 2006, 14:11:14 pm »
when do babies start grasping objects/toys? I thought around 3 months but my lo doesnt seem al that interested. He will hold things if the happen to be near his hand but isnt reallly batting at his toys eg.on his playmat?

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
Re: grasping object
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 07:52:04 am »
Hi,
grasping is a harder skill than reaching... does your lo reach out to objects to feel them?  i would find lots of bits and bobs that make noise, crinkly paper, keys, etc and things that feel different, velvety textures, cotton balls, etc and i would ensure that when your lo was on his back there are lots of things hanging overhead to bat and move... spend some time lying down with him and showing him how things move and running his hands accross some of the textures and noisy things you have found... you can probably place things into his hands because of the grasping reflex that babies have but i think that reaching is important first...
it might be that your ds is more interested in watching things right now, a mirror or even you.  let us know how you get on!
HTH

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 12:58:05 pm »
I have been doing all these things with him, he does hold on to things if I put them into his hand and also brings them to his mouth, I was just wondering at what age they start to grab things?

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 13:09:14 pm »
Hi, As far as I am aware, it's a few more months yet till your lo will be able to reach for an object and grasp it.
he sounds as if he's coming on perfectly. and always remember, babies do everything at different stages. I got hung up on reading books that said what my ds SHOULD be doing each month, then worried if he wasnt able to do it. Dont worry - he will do it in his own time. And remember, boys are lazier than girls (seriously, I'm not being flippant!)