Author Topic: Loves veggies, not fruit..what to do?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Lockyer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Loves veggies, not fruit..what to do?
« on: January 29, 2006, 00:52:41 am »
Hi,
Our DS is nearly 20mths and has always had a "thing"with fruit. He will eat it if it is mush but even then there are issues. I have always offered chunk, slices, shapes etc to make it more fun, even put it with ice cream (but he doesnt like that either). He loves veggies and most other foods as long as it isnt too sweet. I know that he is more of a savory tooth but I would still like to encourage fruit to be eaten. How can I go about this. Everything I read is about fussy veggie eaters..no fussy fruit eaters.

Thanx, Vanessa

Offline albertasweetpea

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
Re: Loves veggies, not fruit..what to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 01:26:13 am »
Hi Vanessa, what about juice? Fruit juice watered down or they have some juices that are fruit/veggie (least here in Canada they do).
Does he like yogurt? You could give him yogurt with fresh fruit in it? How about veggies and fruit together??

Doesn't seem like such a bad thing that he doesn't like fruit, may be an acquired taste for him that he will grow into!!  ::)
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 19:22:58 pm »
Hi vanessa,

Have you tried giving him smoothies!  DD is not a huge fan of fruit except apples so i make her smoothies which she loves.  Try starting him off with bananas & strawberries blended togeather and then just keep adding different fruits as you go along.  You can also add milk and yoghurt!

Let me know how you get along!

HTh :) :)
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]

Offline sousafamilia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 03:36:20 am »
Finally!

We thought Ben was the only one with this peculiar problem!

He has only very recently started eating some watermelon and raisins.
Steven and Maggie
Proud Parents of Ben and Xander

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:40:42 pm »
DS is the same way - loves veggies, but not crazy about fruit. We have been successful with fruits that are more watery like pears and pear/pineapple. He definitely doesn't like the really sweet fruits like bananas.

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 18:21:06 pm »
Well I have to hide veg and fruit. Fruit I still puree and dd gets cubes of it in natural yogurt 2 a day after lunch and dinner, it is the only way to get it into her.

Offline evelyn

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 18:38:41 pm »
Although lily is only  7 months she already dislikes all fruit but has no problems with veggies!  I mix in some fruit with her oatmeal in the am and have been adding increasing amounts to her rice, we think she is coming around to peaches!!
Proud mum to Alice 16/3/1999 and Lily 7/10/2005

Baby No. 3 due 20th May 2008.

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 17:29:00 pm »
Hiya Vanessa

Just wanted to add a couple of things ...

Firstly Ciara has always loved fruit but not veggies.  We used to give her a wee bit of whatever veg we were having and if she ate it great, and if not we didn't make such a big deal of it - mainly as she was fine eating fruit.  Now that she is nearly 3, she'll eat most veg, so it worked out in the end!

Also, I watched a prog about fussy eaters (not suggesting your lo is fussy!) but the suggestion was for food to be offered outwith meal times and during activities where kids were really relaxed eg bath time, play time.  So maybe you could try putting some bits of apple out at bath time etc? I suggested this to my neighbour who has a REALLY fussy eater but she was horrified at the idea   ;) ... it's maybe worth a try thou!
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 20:41:12 pm »
Ummm... I guess I don't see what the big deal is.  Your toddler loves veggies?  Fantastic!!!  Count your lucky stars!  Feed him veggies!  He can get all the nitrients he needs from veggies, without ever eating fruit (Vitamin C from peppers, broccoli, or cabbage, etc.).  Offer fruit when you serve it to yourself and/or DH.  If he eats it, fine, if not, well, I wouldn't worry about it.

My dd will eat peas and corn.  And maybe carrots, if I make a stir-fry and she's allowed to eat with chopsticks(!).  If I make a frittata with spinach and broccoli, she may gobble it up, or she may throw it on the floor.  She'll eat tomato sauce on pasta.  She'll eat anything she picks from DH's garden.  She likes dried fruit and the occasional bite of my banana, or slice of apple.  She does like smoothies.  But that's pretty much it in the produce department.  And we're vegetarians, DH grows veggies, and we belong to a local farm cooperative and get a box of organic veggies every week.  We eat tons of veggies.  I figure if I just keep offering, dd will love them too.

Anyway, I think you're lucky to have a toddler who loves veggies. ;)
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline SophieB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 08:20:56 am »
Hi - I just wanted to say, it's completely natural to worry about what your LO eats.  Everyone does it.

Having said that, though, fruit and veges actually contain very similar vitamins, minerals and other dietary requirements.  The main difference is that fruit has more sugar - fructose - which is both good and bad.

So, I'd say, keep offering fruit, and try lots of different things: canned, dried, fresh, pureed, not pureed, juice, etc.  And offer the same things multiple times, because one day he might just change his mind.  (Just like what they love one day, they won't touch the next, so it goes that what they won't touch one day, they can't get enough of the next).

Probably you'll eventually stumble on some fruit he likes - but if not, don't worry.  I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job of making sure he has plenty of fresh food, and he'll get what he needs regardless.

(BTW - bear in mind that some things we conventionally call veges are actually fruits: e.g. tomatos (Ellie love the tiny grape ones), avocado, cucumber, capsicum/peppers, zucchini.  Basically, if it has seeds in it, it's a fruit.  So he may be eating more fruit than you think!).

All the best.

Soph
Eleanor - 13/12/04