Author Topic: Need to transition to one nap??!!  (Read 1617 times)

Offline dmills

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: January 29, 2006, 20:41:06 pm »
Hi, everyone.  My ds just turned 16 months and I am wondering if he is ready to transition to one nap.  This weekend he started fighting the afternoon nap.  His schedule looks like this:
6or 6:30 Wake
9:00 Nap for an hour and a half, possibly have to wake him.
1:30 Nap for about 2 hours.
7:00 Bedtime.

He use to go down at 1:00, but didn't seem quite ready the past few weeks so we moved it back.  He goes to my mother's while I teach during the week and she claims she really doesn't have this issue and doesn't believe he is ready for the transition, since he seems ready at 9AM still.  Any suggestions?  Wouldn't he fight the morning nap if he was ready to transition to just one.  Would you just see how next weekend goes before trying to change things up?  How would you go about changing?  I can not believe that he could make it to noon without a morning nap, but who knows?!  I am utterly confused.  He does have a bit of a head cold and is a late teether.  Could this be affecting things?  Doesn't seem to be affecting the AM nap though.  HELP!!! 
dmills

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 16:41:25 pm »
Seems to me he still can use the 2 naps!

Offline dmills

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 18:09:18 pm »
I have to say I am leaning towards that, but not sure what is happening.  I guess it could be the head cold.  We actually got him up at 3:00 yesterday after an hour and a half of crying and etc...  By 3:30 you could tell he was exhausted so we layed him back down and asleep he went until we woke him at 4:00...we didn't want it to ruin the 7:00 sleep time.  Which he has been fussing when layed down then as well. 
dmills

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 14:30:08 pm »
Hmm could be the cold--maybe try some cold meds before the pm nap and see if that helps.  If not, and he can't get the pm nap until it's too late in the afternoon, then he may be at the point he needs to transition.  if that's the case just move the pm nap later and move the bedtime earlier just like how tracy described in her last book. 

Offline dmills

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 15:47:25 pm »
Do you mean the Toddler Years Book or the Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems??  I have to say yesterday he took some cold meds. before naps and bedtime and there wasn't a fuss.  In fact, he went to bed a bit earlier. 
dmills

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Need to transition to one nap??!!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 18:54:53 pm »
I would wait until he feels better before transitioning to the one nap, because he needs his sleep now to get better.  You usually know to transition to one nap when they start fighting the pm nap and it starts getting later.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com