Author Topic: Newbie - should I start to swaddle at 4.5 mo's?  (Read 809 times)

Offline steffer

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Newbie - should I start to swaddle at 4.5 mo's?
« on: January 30, 2006, 15:18:20 pm »
We swaddled DS for the first couple of weeks but then abandoned it as it seemed to really agitate him - especially his legs.  I am just now beginning to use EASY and am about to start "sleep training".   Should I even bother with the swaddling part?  The reason I even ask, is because he is "helped" to sleep, and really likes it when we hold his hands (in crib or bouncy).  I wonder if the aussie swaddle or swaddling him with his arms out (not sure how to do this one) would help settle him.  He does use a paci, but prefers sucking on his hands.  Any advice?

A little background:
Why we are getting a "late start":  DS was dx with a heart defect at birth and on advice from Dr, not to let him get too worked up crying because of oxyenation issues and be aware that he may need to eat more frequently because he can tire out from eating and fall asleep.  So, I demand fed him and we "kangaroo" parented him to get him to sleep.  He is doing very well and thriving and spoke to the Dr last week who said that because his defect is milder than they thought, we can proceed with sleep training and he could tolerate a routine now.

Anything you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Stef

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Newbie - should I start to swaddle at 4.5 mo's?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 19:49:34 pm »
you could certainly try - it just might not be for very long.  you might only need it until he learns to put himself to sleep.  but once he gets onto a decent routine, you will be able to better sense what will help & what bugs him.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy