Author Topic: 19 month-old will only eat if he's on my lap !  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Jamie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
19 month-old will only eat if he's on my lap !
« on: February 01, 2006, 02:32:48 am »
Ds gave up his highchair on his own a few months ago.  He didn't want a booster so we let him sit at the table with us.  Big brother gave his up early too so we felt it would be fine. 

Now he won't sit on a chair of any sort for meals- only my lap.  This makes mealtimes difficult, especially in restaurants.  If I don't sit down for breakfast and empty the dishwasher instead, he will stand beside me crying and point to the table.  He is already very thin so I don't like him to skip his meals, but this has been going on for weeks.  He won't sit with anyone else, either, just me.  Any ideas on how to handle this??  Thanks.

Offline GGB

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 19 month-old will only eat if he's on my lap !
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 22:17:04 pm »
Hi, I think if this was my child I"d probably pursue a less-and-less comfortable strategy until he chooses to sit in a chair. Begin to create a slope to your knees rather than dead level. If that eventually fails, I'd make my legs gradually jiggly and unstable. I'd probably also create a transition cue. I'd use a special dish towel on my lap for a few days before beginning the discomfort tactic. Then as my lap became less comfortable I'd offer to move it to a seat explaining with a shrug Mama's legs can't hold a big boy at the table. Maybe I'd drape it on the seat to start with and if he insists on the lap then, naturally, it's less comfy. Maybe I'd be less careful of my elbows and arms. A rocky ride.

I'd also do it all with great detachment. Tracy said about infants ... you can't calm a baby unless you are calm yourself. Still true for toddlers!

Alternately, it's easier to replace a habit than to change one. Change all the rules together. So perhaps everyone sits for dinner in a different chair than usual, or on a stool, or 'musical chairs' or something. Maybe eveyone gets a doll for their lap. Or a doll for his lap! IF you do everything the same, he will expect everything to be the same. Naturally.

As for him being slim ... well he just might be slim the end. I like this bit of advice: your job ends with putting good food in front of your child, then it's your child's job to eat it. You can't force him to eat and a child won't starve himself anyway. So relax when the plate hits the table!

best, g