Author Topic: solids, spirited babe + night wakings  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Vic

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 05, 2006, 15:33:42 pm »
Hi everyone,
I posted a message the other day because my spirited 5 mth old was going through a massive growth spurt and waking at night for feeds, starving. I've since introduced some solids (baby rice, grated apple and pear) for 2 meals a day, and for the first 3 days, it was amazing, she seemed satisfied for the first time in weeks, and slept through the night with the usual df at 11. But as usual, just when you think you've cracked it... Although she now seems less hungry in the day (in fact often doesn't drain both breasts and is easily distracted), she has started waking at 3.30am and taking a full feed again. The waking time is pretty regular - If I don't feed her she is v. hard to settle, if I do I can put her down awake and she falls asleep by herself. She is an extremely spirited child, and spends first hour of A time squealing in delight. She naps twice in day for 40mins-2hrs a time (tho tends to be quite resistant, and I have to watch she's not overstimulated), and also does a 30min catnap, but lately has been more resistant to this. Is it just that she's going through a lot developmentally? Or am I doing something wrong? I'm inclined to think that she's just sleeping more lightly as she's more aware of her environment and excited by everything. If so how long does this usually disturb sleep? I know there are no hard and fast answers, I just wish I knew that there was, say, a good chance of her sleeping through the night again in 3 or 4 mths - or do spirited kids just sleep less and less?!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: solids, spirited babe + night wakings
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 09:23:00 am »
From my experience with a "spirited" bub, they are up & down like a yo yo, the more consistant the routine is the more likely that they will sleep better, but it only takes a little hicup for it to be messed up.
My motto was just to expect them & when they don't happen be happy... for us a lot of the wakings were him making noise (now sleep talking) rather than actually needing someone to go to him...but annoying when I have a baby as well  ;)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Vic

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: solids, spirited babe + night wakings
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 11:25:59 am »
thanks!
the little monster still tending to wake at night and mostly seems hungry, but I'm just going with the flow at the moment. One thing I have found helps is putting her down in the afternoon as soon as she shows the first sign of tiredness, even if it's only been an hour and a half since her last nap. She tends to get easily overtired. I also suspect that she's not taking in enough milk from bf - I try everything to get her to eat more, but she's seems to get bored sucking and just wants to interact. She's probably making up for it with the night feed. Also, I've noticed recently when I pump that my milk seems more watery looking than before, so I wonder whether it's not calorific enough ...?