Author Topic: 10 month old and nite wakings  (Read 1536 times)

Offline B&BMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Ontario Canada
10 month old and nite wakings
« on: February 06, 2006, 03:05:11 am »
Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice.
Our lo has always had trouble sleeping, from the very beginning, he was colicky, he also suffers from reflux and has recently been diagnosed with asthma now too.

For the longest time we went with no sleep at all, even naps were an issue.
We now have the naps in better control, for the most part Brady wakes approx the same time every am, within a 1/2 range, and will nap at the same time am...approx 1hour long, (we do occasionally have trouble with the 45 min mark), and then again a good nap in the PM 1.5 hrs -2.0 hours, then to bed at the same time very nite.

Our problem being, he wakes constantly during the night, sometimes every hour on the hour, has a hard time settling again, doesn't want to go back to sleep, sometimes cries, others wants to play, its different each and every time. We've worked at up/pd - pat/shhh, for quites some time now,  but it doesn't seem to work, then I give in and accidental parenting on purpose in hopes I may gets some sleep and p/U to rock to sleep, then, the minute he hits his mattress again...BOOM awake and crying once more..... Now at this very moment he is sick with a cold, and as mentioned above just been diagnosed with asthma, so recently home from the hospital, so this week is off completely due to that....
And he seems extra clingy, and needing more attention/cuddling than usual, (which I love to give anyway) I enjoy cuddle time emensly :-*...but the cold will end, and will my extra cuddle time and rocking him, throw us even farther off routine...then we were before, we were having constant night wakings before, now they are only worse with this cold.

Any advice out there would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks
Holly
Brady's Mom
Born March 20 2005

Also Mom to 5 Angels in Heaven

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: 10 month old and nite wakings
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 03:16:20 am »
Hi Holly

Welcome back!  Glad you are back on line!

As you know from our Mar/Apr thread, we have also battled with night wakings at our house. 

I've got a couple of questions for you:

Could you detail your routine timewise?  I see you've include info about wake ups and naps etc, but what time are they all happening?

How does Brady go to sleep at the beginning of the night?  Could you really carefully detail it for me?
What is the routine and how is he ACTUALLY falling asleep?

Thanks Holly, I'll check back
Jo

Offline B&BMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 02:03:48 am »
Hi Jo,

Thanks for responding to me, sorry for the delay in my response, computer trouble again, and then a bad flu bug hit us all so I haven't been online lately.

Brady usually goes down well at bedtime, most nites.... ::)there are the odd few when we have trouble.
He rises in the am anywhere from 6am to 730am, goes down for a nap usually at 9am, wakes approx 1.5 hrs later, pm nap is at 2pm, unitl 4pm, then up, later dinner around 5:30pm, bath, wind down at 6:30pm, reading books rocking , songs etc, then last bottle (he no longer bf) and then bed at 7:30pm
But....then he wakes around 11:30 for about 15 min, then again around 1:30am for almost an hour sometimes, then 3:30 am for about an hour and then at 6 or so....now this is a good nite, we usually have wakings almost every hour on the hour, and even to the point of every 1/2 hour too.

Hope that helps sort our our routine.

Thanks again
Holly

Could you detail your routine timewise?  I see you've include info about wake ups and naps etc, but what time are they all happening?

How does Brady go to sleep at the beginning of the night?  Could you really carefully detail it for me?
What is the routine and how is he ACTUALLY falling asleep?

Thanks Holly, I'll check back
Jo

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 03:30:54 am »
Hi Holly

Is Brady awake after the final bottle?  Drowsy?  Do you hold him for a while to get him drowsy before bed?

Does he wake every night at 11.30?  Are the other wake times habitual as well?

Are you feeding during the night?

Offline B&BMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 02:37:05 am »
Hi Jo

Most times after last bottle we hold him and rock until he is sleepy, then try and put him down, but he fights us the minute he feels the mattress.....?

As for constant wake times, yes....11:30 is a constant wake up time the last month or so at least, and as for the other wake times, if we have a so called good nite yes he will wake every nite at 1130p, 130a, 330a, and 530a....but when we have really rough nights he wakes almost every half hour...

??? ::)

Thanks so much for your help Jo

ttfn

Holly

Offline B&BMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 02:38:15 am »
oh yeah and no I'm no longer doing night feedings, when brady was sick a few weeks ago, I did around the 1:30 am wake up only due to the fact he wasn't eating or drinking during the day at all.

sorry forgot that one!

Offline B&BMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 03:37:32 am »
Well, our  night last night went something like this....

Bed at 7:30p and fought with him doing pd until 8:30p, slept from then until 1130p, back down at 12am
Up again at 1:30a until 215a, and then from there up every 20 minutes until 5am, then slept until 6am and then up for the day.

Nap at 9:15 until 10:15 am

Out and about today, things to do...

Back home and tried nap at 1:15p, but wouldn't settle until 1:45p, then awake at 2:30p exactly 45 min...having trouble gettting past that 45 minute mark the last few PM naps???? And then had to rock back to sleep to try and extend it a bit...and then I tried to nap, and we extended it two hours ::)
I had to wake him at 3:45pm ....

By 7pm he was showing signs of being tired, does't usually go down until 7:30, but gave him his bottle and he was asleep by 7:15, and so far so good...hoping for a good nite! Fingers crossed.

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 03:59:41 am »
Hi Holly

OK, I think we need to pick a spot to start.  From my research and readings, and from the advice I have received, the most important thing to work on is the falling asleep at the beginning of the night.  That means moving away from rocking until drowsy or feeding to sleep, and putting Brady into his crib more and more awake at the beginning of the night.  You will get protests because that is not what he is used to, but as long as you are there to help him he will learn that he does not need you to rock him down before he can fall asleep.

The other thing you MIGHT want to try is WTS for the 11.30pm waking - I haven't done it myself but because you are having an habitual waking at that time you might want to give it a try and see what happens. 

On the feeding thing  - I still give Fraser a feed during the night - we are now only having one wake up during the night (can be anywhere from about 4-5am) for a feed, otherwise he is sleeping from 7.30 - 7.  I hope to eliminate that feed by about 12 months - my understanding is some babies do need a night feed right up until the 12 month mark (trust me to have one  ::)).  I had also read that it is not uncommon for some babies to need 2 night feeds up until 9 months - which Fraser was having and then dropped it himself at the 9 month mark, without any need for me to intervene.  Does Brady seem to settle a bit better if you give him a night time feed?  How do you feel about that?

Jo