Author Topic: how can i stop this?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline busymomof2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 06, 2006, 17:06:10 pm »
my dd is 4 months old and wakes every morning at about 530am. my biggest problem is that my older son who is 3 is usually in my bed at that point so when i or dh gets up to tend to her, he wakes up too (light sleeper).  i'll post her schedule and would love any hints on maybe how to change/better things. 

bath/bottle/bed and asleep by about 8pm
wakes a few times in the night and wants soother put back in mouth
up around 3pm for a feed
up at 530-6am for good.

she is getting maybe 25 oz in a 24 hour period. she is 15 lbs and i really don't know where she gets her good size from b/c she is not a good eater as far as i'm concerned. she still only eats about 4-5 oz at a time.

so..... i've also tried to give her cereal a few times but it just sits on her lips. should i keep trying and she'll get it one of these days?  (my son ate cereal willingly at 3.5 months and was guzzling 8 oz bottles at this point).

any suggestions?????

i've tried to keep her up a little later but she is pretty cranky, so used to going to bed at 8pm

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: how can i stop this?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 17:15:52 pm »
Hi there, sounds like you have your hands full. Lets see what we can do to help you.
Keeping her up later isn't the answer. That will just make her overtired and more likly to wake often.

Now you said she only eats 25 oz in a 24 hour period and she's 15 lbs. That doesn't sound right, she should be eating 30-31oz in a 24 hour period at her age. The night wakeings are because she needs more food. Have you tried feeding her at 5:30?

I'd suggest that you try to increase her daily intake of formula. It doesn't sound like this is the right time to introduce cereals. Talk to your DR before you try that.

Whats your daytime routine like?
Kimberly

Offline busymomof2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 18:23:32 pm »
i know it doesn't sound right!  i really don't know where she gains her weight from...
i've tried feeding he when she wakes up early morning and i've tried not feeding her..
when i do feed her, she is restless for the next hour or two and doesn't really get back to sleep so i didn't bother...
what i'd like to do is really start to cut out her night feedings so that she is hungry during the day and will eat more.
should she be sleeping longer through the night with her age and weight?
she has about an hour nap in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon plus usually a 20 minute catnap during the supper hour..she is generally a happy baby..
she recently was admitted to hospital with rsv but seems to be symptom free now..could she feel like not eating much?
my problem i think is that i compare her to my son when he was a baby and at this point he had a set schedule, he was sleeping 10-12 hours through the night, was not waking up and drank formula like it was his last meal where she could either take it or leave it.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 21:19:14 pm »
Actually I wouldn't wrry about the weight :) She sounds like she weighs as much as she should. How much was she at birth?

As for sleeping through the night without eating, no its not unusual for her not to. She's still pretty little. Especially if your having trouble getting her to eat during the day. Her having been sick or even teething may be attributing to her not eating as much as you want her too.

Do you feed on demand or by routine? How long between feeds? What type of formula do you use? powdered, concentrate, ready made and what brand?

Have you talked to your DR at all about your concerns about her eating?
Kimberly

Offline busymomof2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 23:48:43 pm »
she was 8lb 8 oz...yes, i have mentioned it to my doctor who feels it's unrealistic for babies to sleep long periods until about 6 months...i beg to differ though as i mentioned, my son was able to and we've done nothing different. she is formula fed "parent's choice" and i feed her every 3-4 hours or so but also try to feed in between if i feel she may take some as i am trying to get calories into her during the day..

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 06:06:30 am »
ah a formula I know :) We use Parents Choice aswell. Do you use powder or concentrate??
While I don't think its nessasarily unrealistic for a LO of 4 months to sleep throught the night, I also don't find it that common either. Most 4 month olds I know wake at least once a night. In a group of 12 LO in my area all born in the same week, only 3 slept through by four months. My neighbors 6 month old for example, just started too, while my LO started to at 3 months.
Your LO is actually not doing to bad at all :) To go from 8pm-3am without a feed is pretty good. Have you tried a dreamfeed yet?
It sounds like it's just the morning that needs work by the sound of it. Thats what I'd like to try and help you with.
Although it also sounds like you may have to start weaning her off of the paci if she's starting to wake for it. It may be time to introduce a lovie.
Don't expect you DD to sleep as long as your DS, every child is different. The more you compare the mor frustrated you'll become.
As for the feeding. Do you have an actual routine set up? It sounds like she may be starting to become a snacker, and not taking full feeds.
Also how much daytime sleep does she get? what are your naps like?
Could you send me a copy of your full daytime routine? That may help.
Kimberly