Author Topic: Protein and veggie ideas  (Read 1813 times)

Offline ktmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Protein and veggie ideas
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:39:04 am »
Hi
Im trying to expand DDs range of foods and i am finding pretty difficult to get her to eat much
She will eat sausages, breaded chicken ( well breaded anything :-[) she will eat broccoli but no other veg :(
Does anyone have any ideas on different meat protein dishes or veggies i could try ( i have tried cauli, carrots, corn, peas and no luck)
Every mealtime i sill offer her these things but she might take a bite and then chuck it away. I really dont want to get into unhealthy habits ir too much breaded foods.
At the moment her diet is a follows

Am Milk and weetabix and half a crumpet with butter

Lunch 2 little sausages, half a pork pie or some ham, rice or pasta

Snack cereal bar or plain biscuit

dinner Example 2 pieces or breaded chicken pasta or rice sometimes mash potato, 1-2 spears of broccoli

pm 1/2 crumpet or toast with butter and milk before bed

Does this sound ok is there aything out there popular apart from chicken and sausages!!!!!!! ::)

Thanks

Kxx

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
Re: Protein and veggie ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 13:33:37 pm »
If she eats mash.   Would she eat little bitsize fish cakes.

Make up a batch of mash potato, cool.
Mix in just a little veg
i add tuna  / salmon to mine
Coat in egg / flour or breadcrumbs.
Make into little balls.
Fry until golden.

I have also made mine with mashed potato cooked with carrots / cauliflower (sneaky cos its the same colour as potato!).

What about pasta sauce made with different vegetables - you could go back to chunky puree for that so no visible 'veg' pieces except perhaps some broccoli in the sauce.

Matthew like fish pie in cheesy sauce (strangely enough he prefers it with smoked haddock - undyed pieces),with mash
Fish fingers?
If Matthew's not had much veg for the day - I make pasta with cheese sauce  and add veg to that.  I can get veg into him that he might not normally eat willingly. (I keep a bag of frozen mixed veg especially for this)  Also use this veg for making cheese omelette.  Mix egg / little milk together in shallow bowl, grate in cheese and add sprinkling of veg.  Micro in bowl until cooked.  Turn out onto plate.

He's taken to raw pepper / carrot / cucumber if it's dipped in hoummous.  (But that was a bit later than the age of your dd)

I understand you are worried as I guess you are concerned about the possible salt content in the sausages and pork pie.  I know this is the only thing that she seems to be eating but worth looking into.  Ah yes - I made my own 'sausages' using pork / turkey mince.

Would she accept fresh fruit / sultanas with her weetabix?

Banana smoothie
Good luck

alex

Offline Adoptivemom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 18:56:30 pm »
My two year old daughter loves hard boiled eggs and beans (kidney and black beans).  She loves meat sauce on her pasta - try adding some mushrooms or green peppers to this. Try these if you haven't already. Have you tried cuccumber or beets? She also loves these. Beets are sweet and the cucumber is crunchy!

Lindsay

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 04:13:21 am »
i mash banana into the weetabix, dd love tomato, it is summer here and they are beautiful at the moment, if yours aren't then slice and fry in olive oil for a bit, also dd love mushrooms, slice and fry with the tomato, i don't Mix it together just on the other side of the pan, baked beans are a hit at the moment, the fruit here in australia is so yummy at the moment, i have recently resorted to ravioli and tortellini, they have been a hit,

Offline Sylvia.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 06:16:32 am »
oh and when we have t-bone steak which is at least once a week dh love steak, then i leave some of the fillet on and dd gets that, she really seems to eat meat this way

Offline j-me

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 19:52:52 pm »
Have you tried Gardenburgers?  (veggie burgers).  My son loves these and they come in all different flavors.  His favorite...(and mine)...lately is a "pizza" tomato basil flavored one.  Also, if she'll eat breaded things, you could try breading some vegetables and oven fry them.  Just dip the cut veggies (zucchini works really well) in egg and then in bread crumbs or panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and then roast them in the oven.  My son really likes pureed pumpkin mixed in with his applesauce.  Sometimes I'll add a little cinnamon and ground ginger or nutmeg in there.  He'll eat a ton of it!
Jamie & Evan
Jarom 08-31-04
Pacen 03-16-06

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 23:41:04 pm »
My dd doesn't like meats yet either but loves tofu - i don't care for it but she loves it.  Heathly Soy based protien and low in fat.

Offline Sylvia.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 01:44:04 am »
how you you cook tofu michelle?

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 02:03:16 am »
that is the best part, i don't cook or do anything to it.

Just cut into cubes and serve right from the carton.  Now your LO might like it in spaghetti or anything you would normally put chicken or ground beef or anything really.
-tofu and beans
-tofu and rice
-tofu and couscous
-tofu and noodles
etc, etc  Just mix it in, don't need to cook it at all :-)