Author Topic: Water  (Read 1490 times)

Offline samandsmudge

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • matthew was born on the 15th october 2005
Water
« on: February 07, 2006, 20:58:14 pm »
i'm sorry if this has been asked but i am new to this site and couldn't find it.

i have started weaning matthew and give him some water with his food but i'm not sure how much i should be giving him? ???

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 21:48:26 pm »
You don't need to give him any water.  I've asked ds's pediatrician about that and he told me that you don't need to give a baby water during his first year as long as he's getting enough formula.  Just make sure to add the right amount of water to the formula mix.

Your lo is young enough so that he shouldn't be getting any solids yet, either, so he's fine with formula.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 22:21:37 pm »
I found that as soon as we stopped breastfeeding, and went onto formula (about 6 months), ds would get constipated if I didn't give him extra liquids as well as the formula, even though I was mixing it up right. This coincided with the introduction of solids. My HV said to class formula as a food, not a liquid, so he really should have extra. Ds has about 250ml of water a day (spread out across the day), but I think it varies from baby to baby. As long as your baby is not constipated (hard, dry stools), and doesn't show the signs of dehydration (depressed fontanelles, skin bounces back when pinched - not too hard ;)), then you are OK. Ask your HV what she thinks.

Welcome to the boards, and congratulations on your little cutie :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 23:00:39 pm »
I guess there are all different babies and digestive systems?  :-)
Thanks for the heads up!  Good to know about others's experiences.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 23:13:41 pm »
Shortly after I started Nat on solids she got constipated so I started offering her maybe an ounce or so of water from a little 2-oz. cup - got it from IKEA in a set of 6 in the kiddies' section, look like plastic shot glasses LOL. Now she can drink a full ounce of water (sometimes formula now - she's almost 9 months tho) before I have to add the next ounce, up to 3 ounces at her last meal.

I will say that she has gotten SO GOOD at drinking from a regular cup, even with me holding it (and her trying from time to time) that I wish I would never have given in and introduced Josie to a sippy, because she still can only drink from a regular cup one sip at a time even now that she's 4.

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 13:22:37 pm »
I give my DD water after her tea (to wash it down with) as she doesn't have milk till her bedtime bottle, she has anything to 1oz to 4oz
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline samandsmudge

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • matthew was born on the 15th october 2005
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 14:32:31 pm »
thanks everyone for your replies, he has somewhere between 1 and 3 oz at breakfast and tea. we started him on solids early on the advice of the hv as he is a little porky :D

Offline dinah34134

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 21:23:06 pm »
i give andrew water in his sippy cup aftear eating solid foods.  i find more of it ends up on him and the high chair.  i usually just put in 1 or 2 oz.