Author Topic: Not going back down after night feed  (Read 1465 times)

Offline mcajules

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Not going back down after night feed
« on: February 08, 2006, 13:07:08 pm »
Hi

The last few night my daughter has fed well at around 12.30am, gone down well and then about 45 mins later starts grunting loudly which eventually leads to tears and up.  She has been up ever since sporadically and it's now 8.00am!  She goes down pretty well during the day and when this happens at night I calm her and put her back and then it all starts again sooner or later.  This is the only time in the day or night this loud grunting happens.

Any tips anyone?? She's 7 weeks and eats very well - for example she had eaten 7 ounces at 12.30 last night so should sleep like a dream!

Thank you.

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Not going back down after night feed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 15:12:22 pm »
Could it be that she is getting an upset stomach or wind after 7oz of milk, my DS is 20 weeks and I have never been able to feed him over 4oz on a n/feed as he gets terrible wind and it wakes him up screaming.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 18:41:00 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline mcajules

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 18:39:17 pm »
Could be - I thought it seems a lot but was thinking the more I get down her, the longer it would hold her... or not as it turns out.  i'll try less tonight as I do suspect that this could have something to do with it. Mind you, she takes it well, I don't force it at all, but will try less.

Thanks!

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 18:44:27 pm »
Is there anyway she would  take 7 oz on her bed time feed,  mine takes 9 - 10oz at 8ish - that either sees him right through until 7am or he is up hungry between 4 - 5am for a 10min feed. ???  This means that for his weight 15lb 15oz he is taking abiut 32 - 34oz of formula per day (rough guidelines are 2 - 2.5 x babys weight) he only take 4 x 8oz bottles in the core day and 3 oz watered if he gets hungry at night.
Lauren x

Offline mcajules

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 19:35:15 pm »
Hi again

She did take 7 oz at the previous feed which was at 6.00 and then she went down at 7.00 and slept through 'till 12.30.  I know I should have probably woken her up at 10.00 or 11.00 but couldn't face it.  Before this staying up after the feed started she was having a feed around 12.30 or 1.00 and then going until 4, 5 or even 6 on good days which I can cope with!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for tonight, I think we're going to try to dream feed her for the first time so let's see if that works.

I think she may eat more than the 2-2.5 oz per pound. She hasn't been weighed in a while, but I'm guessing she's around 11.5 pounds.  The pediatrician said feed her as much as she wants though, she rarely spits up.

Thanks for your help.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 20:26:57 pm »
Mine just took 8oz then promptly projected it back up 2 or 3 times again, all over us both- so I am sure I will see him again in the middle of the night for a feed. ::)

Good luck with D/F, tracey says to do it between 10 -1130pm.
Does she eat 7oz every 3 hours  :o   

Calum was eating a lot at 7weeks because he is very tall and the doctor said he was having to make up for his height?!
Lauren x

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 20:49:28 pm »
How about elevating the head of her mattress?  Sometimes tummy problems appear at night and lying down flat makes it feel worse.  Worked for us last night, anyway.  ;)

Offline mcajules

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 15:59:51 pm »
Thanks for your tips everyone.  Yesterday was a bit of a funny day with her feeding at 1.30 in the afternoon and then not going down until 5.00.  She ate again at 7.30, had a bath then fell fast asleep so we put her down at 9.00 and she didn't wake up until 5.00 this morning.  I can't believe it, it's probably a one off, but that's almost a full night's sleep!  She didn't eat too much before bed, about 5 ounces, so that may be something to watch as she slept very soundly with no apparent tummy pains.

Thanks and fingers crossed for tonight !

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 16:36:01 pm »
Good luck for tonight  :P
Lauren x

Offline mcajules

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 15:07:14 pm »
Hi

She screamed  from 2-6 yesterday afternoon so all my good intentions of bath, feed and bed followed by dream feed went out the window. She ate at 10.00pm and then was up again at 2.00am and then 7.00am which isn't too bad, but I was very surprised she was up at 2 after a big feed at 10.00.

We'll see what this afternoon brings - hopefully not so much screaming, it just totally throws out any schedule I have planned -serves me right - I have been forgetting who's the boss! ::)

Thanks for your support :D