Author Topic: New here: Erratic Night Wakings for 3 mo. Old  (Read 3315 times)

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
Re: New here: Erratic Night Wakings for 3 mo. Old
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 23:55:45 pm »
Just wanted to say that I had tried the DF earlier on, but found it didn't work.  Then I tried it again just after 3m, and it did start to work - mind you, she still woke at 1am ish, but I knew she wasn't hungry then, so I used the paci to get her back to sleep.  This eventually worked.  But I have to say that after that we found she was waking multiple times per night for the paci, so it was time to get rid of it (at 4m).  Shortly after that my dd started sleeping through from 7pm - 7am (with a DF).  Dd is bf.  Oh yes, and dd had also slept through the night at 11 wks 3 times without the DF, but I don't think that was ideal at her age (small baby, and not a great feeder).  Must have just been a funny 'blip'!!

Offline MatthewsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 00:26:29 am »
Hi,
I do have the Baby Whisperer Answers all your Questions - just got it and not done reading it but went to page 120 - last night DS woke up at 1AM and I did the paci for about an hour - he would fall asleep, wake, etc. after an hour he stayed asleep until his usual 5AM and then I fed him. I hope the 1Am goes away but will keep doing this. He is getting 6 feedings a day - speaking of which something that confuses me, Tracy states if they get enuf in the day they won't need any at night but if they are eating every 3 hours aren't the PROGRAMMED to want to eat every 3 hours even at night? I tend to think that's why he wakes - I don't see how he knows the difference between his day feedings and night feedings and he probably expects to eat? That just confuses me.

Thanks,
Lauren

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 00:52:54 am »
Day sleep and night sleep are different, and I think they are 'organised' in different parts of the brain.  I'm not sure how long it takes for babies to sort this out though, I think maybe 3 or so months from memory.  Also, you help them to learn the difference between night and day feeds by keeping night feeds very low key (low lighting, no/minimal talking or eye-contact etc).  Having said that, some babies do feed 3hrly round-the-clock in the beginning, but by 3m there should be at least one longer stretch overnight.

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 02:35:00 am »
hi all
I know how frustrating is not to sleep!!!!! :o
Well ok the DF started working to cut the 2am feed when Paul was about 10 WO ::), and i did the cluster too, so it did take a while for us to work, and also there was a 8day period when he didn't take the DF, but i kept going for it, finally he took it again, but he was still waking at 4-5ish am to feed ::), so one day i decided to try and ...give him wate :-Xr, and guess what... he took it the first day, he woke up 2 days after that and then he stopped, so you coudl try that. and he sometimes wakes for his paci, but only once at nigth so its great for me now.
Now i keep giving him the DF because he sleeps until 6-7ish am ;D, i guess i woudl totally recommend it but it takes time for the LO's to work it out.
Good Luck!!! ;)