Author Topic: Please help - losing sanity due to frequent night wakings  (Read 1841 times)

Offline sleepy mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help - losing sanity due to frequent night wakings
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:31:02 am »
Hi Everyone - am new to this site but needed some advice as rapidly coming to the end of my tether as 14 week old DD has been waking during night nearly every hour for the last 5 days.  I can't understrand it as previously she had been sleeping from 7.15pm to 5, 6 sometimes 7 am with no trouble.  Have read BW advice book from cover to cover several times and think it's fab but nothing seems to be solving this one.  DD is on 4 hour EASY, she feeds well taking 6 - 7oz per feed, naps for 1 - 1.5 hours each nap during day and is what Tracy describes as an angel baby for majority of time.  She goes down for naps independently and at nighttime too but as soon as she wakes she can't seem to settle herself without me having to go in and sit with her.  She uses a dummy but I'm pretty sure this isn't a prop as she doesn't need it to sleep.  I swaddle her for sleeps but she does tend to get out of this now, am thinking of switching to a growbag but this has been disastrous in the past.  Have been using PU/PD when I go to her at night but she doesn't even need picking up, just my voice and presence seems to be enough.  The thing is she isn't even crying really, just whinging really loudly - have tried leaving her to settle but after about 15 mins of this she then begins to get upset and I don't want to leave her to cry it out so I go in - am I reinforcing abad habit here? Should I leave her longer, trouble is she then wakes DH who has to work long hours and really needs his sleep.  We are getting desperate and would really welcome some advice!  Sleepy Mum xxx

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Please help - losing sanity due to frequent night wakings
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:58:20 am »
{{{{hugs}}}}

Firstly what weight is she and how many oz's does she take a day (not including night)?  Could be you are experiencing a growth spurt  :-\

I have just started using a gro'bag with swaddled arms as I am trying to wean him off it.

Calum did this a few weeks back, waking every 20 mins in the night, I put it down to teething as she does this on and off. The night waking suddenly stopped and slept through the night for a week  ::)  Now we are back to waking once a night for no reason, like you all he needs is to see me and he goes back to sleep.
Lauren x

Offline sleepy mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 14:54:56 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  Phoebe is 14lbs and takes 6 - 7 oz per feed during day.  Have tried dream feeding but she just doesn't get on very well with this. I thought she may have been going through a growth spurt so upped her feed by 1oz each feed.  Hadn't considered teething - isn't this a bit early?  How can I tell if she's teething?  What can I do, if anything if it is teething?

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 16:35:19 pm »
Teething indicators are:
restlessness, irritability and disturbed sleep patterns
sore, red gums
flushed cheeks
loss of appetite
a slight rise in temperature (but not above 39oC, which indicates a fever)
dribbling (which may cause a rash or sore, chapped skin on the chin)
a sudden desire to chew anything they can lay their hands on!
an urge to bite. This should not be perceived as a sign of aggression or anger, more of a means to ease the pain.
http://www.teething-babies.co.uk/teething-process/symptoms.html

Is your LO waking up crying? My DS was usually waking screaming when teething. He has been on and off since 8 weeks, he is now 20weeks. They say the worst part of teething is the teeth pushing up through the gum and not the actual tooth piercing the gum.

If she is waking just whining, and needs you to get to sleep can you let me know how she gets off to sleep in the day time hours i.e does she need you as a prop?
Lauren x

Offline sleepy mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 18:23:54 pm »
Thanks again - these indicators are pretty good, Phoebe fits into several of these categories.  Might have to invest in some bonjela.
in the day time she goes off with no problem, as soon as she looks tired I put her in her cot and she may whinge for a couple of minutes but then goes off to sleep.  A lot of the time she then wakes after 45 mins and thats when  have to go to her.  sometimes I can put her dummy in and she'll go off for another half hour and sometimes not.  She tends to have one good sleep of 1.5 to 2 hours a day and the other nap times are then 45mins or so.  I'm going to try the dream feed again tonight and see if that helps as speaking to you it would seem she may be having a growth spurt or teething or possibly both - so many variables that's the trouble for me and my first time lack of knowledge!xxx

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 19:00:26 pm »
I was advised to get ANBESOL liquid, rather than bongela - the reason being that LO's just swallow the gel and ANBESOL is A LOT stronger  ;D
Lauren x

Offline momofella-grace

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 11:47:42 am »
Hi my 15 week old baby girl was sleeping through the night but recently starting waking every couple of hours, the strange thing is the longer the day time naps i.e if she gets 2 hour snoozes during the day she is better. with her i think it is definately teething. i think maybe she is getting better with he pu/pd. Stick with it maybe its just their age. 

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 11:53:28 am »
Hiya
At 15 weeks it may be a growth spurt! How do you feed her? How often do you feed her?
They say the better they sleep in the day the better they are at night.

If she is teething then I was advised to give him Calpol every 4 hours and rub anbesol on his gums, it is WAY stronger than bonjela as it numbs their gums ( I tried it on my own before giving him it  ;D)

ALSO MAKE SURE SHE HASN'T SWAPPED NIGHT FOR DAY, JUST LOOKED AT YOUR OTHER POSTS...  :-\ , can you post your new routine since starting EASY..

P>S your little girl is beautiful  :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 11:57:21 am by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline morgananne

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 17:39:48 pm »
I just wanted to say you're not alone It is the same with our girl she was sleeping great then all of a sudden waking every hour or two mabey 3 if it's a good night. I try the paci and that sometimes will put her back to sleep for anhour but then she's back and will not go back to sleep without being fed. I think she is teething.