Author Topic: nasal congestion in 3 month old  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Adoptivemom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
nasal congestion in 3 month old
« on: February 09, 2006, 18:02:23 pm »
I have an adopted  3 month old who has been congested since we brought him home - week after he was born. We had two cats and a dog - who no longer live with us for a week now. We are hoping that it is an allergy to pet dander and are cleaning the house to get rid of it all. We have just started EASY a week ago and are seeing lots of progress during the day, but at night he is waking every hour or two or sometimes more often. I am not feeding him, as I can read those cues. Only maybe still one feed. The rest of the time I can tell he is uncomfortable - snorting and stuff. I have tried proping the crib mattress, vaporizer, humidifier in the house, saline drops in the nose. Any other suggestions. Has anyone else suffered from this problem?

Offline Mommy in Moose Jaw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: nasal congestion in 3 month old
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 15:28:29 pm »
Just from personal and family experience that sounds like allergies to pet dander, you're right.  We have had to have our carpet shampooed with specially treated stuff for dander.  You might also need your furnace filter changed to one for microallergens, maybe even have your ductwork cleaned.  Bottom line is if your are sensitive, the house needs to be STERILIZED after pets or life can be terribly uncomfortable.  Good luck.

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 16:00:41 pm »
We used to use a nasal decongester on our DD when she had a cold. She didn't like it much but it was great for getting rid of extra snot and clearing her nasal passages. There's a link attached so you can see what product I mean:

http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/product.asp?id=NUND1

I don't know how well this would work with a pet allergy though.

love

Marie

Offline tinytatsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • I am working hard!!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 02:33:23 am »
Hi,
Just another suggestion you may want to think about.  As a baby myself my mother figured out that I was allergic  to my baby soap.  She said it took sometime to figure out but once she switched brands my nasal congestion went away.  She was using Ivory and switched to Dove.  Just a thought if the pet thing doesn't pan out.

Offline Elisabeth and Victorias mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • My baby sister, cute!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 04:05:05 am »
Was your baby a preemie, My dd was a premmie and while in the nicu i asked about her congested sounds and they say it happens with all premmies, I am not sure when it ends but it could be something to ask your ped about if you have a prem. Good Luck
u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]  []

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 07:39:30 am »
My son was congested from day 1 as well.  We have 2 cats (figured that was the problem).  Turns out he's allergic to dogs (don't know where that came from) and dust mites.  Apparently, the dust mite allergy is pretty common.  Try an allergen mattress cover, take any stuffed toys out of the room, vacuum daily, wash sheets in hot, and don't dust unless your LO is out of the room/house for quite a while.  You can also try an air purifier, but I've heard mixed results with those.  If the problem persists, you may be able to get a low-dose prescription from your doctor to help on bad days (we use Zyrtec when he's really congested).
HTH
Melissa
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er