Author Topic: Appropriate amount of fluids for 16-mo old?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline shines

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Appropriate amount of fluids for 16-mo old?
« on: February 11, 2006, 02:57:12 am »
Hi,

My 16-month old is still nursing, mostly just a little at bed time (6:30-7:00pm), and once in the night (2 out of 3 nights, usually), and on average once a day.  No feedings are very long; the morning one is the longest.  On top of this, dd gets a 6-8oz bottle before her nap around 11, and sometimes a 5-8oz bottle around 3 (maybe 1 out of 2 days), and then at bed time 6-8oz.  She also sips water throughout the day.

I'm considering trying to break the bottle before bed habit (at least the night bed time bottle around 6:30-7:00pm).  Do I necessariliy need to give her more fluids during the day?  I don't want her to start waking more in the middle of the night, but maybe I don't need to worry.  Maybe just offer more water during the day?

Thanks if you have any suggestions.
Shawn
Shawn
Mama to Camryn Shea (Touchy/Spirited Gem)
and Dustin Thomas (Textbook Sweety)

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
Re: Appropriate amount of fluids for 16-mo old?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 17:37:00 pm »
Hi,

I remember that the last bottle that my dd dropped was the bedtime bottle, might be worth cutting out another feed as the bedtime one will keep her going through the night.  With regards to increasing her fluid intake when you drop a feed i didn't with my DD as she was on 3 meals a day she was definately gettiing enough calories throughout the day.  Sorry no great advice, hopefully you will get some more responses. :) :)

HTH
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: Appropriate amount of fluids for 16-mo old?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 04:27:02 am »
I am about to drop this bottle as well, my plan is like the dream feed - decrease 1 oz at night every few days.  You may also want to offer a special treat or snack before instead of ?  At least that is my plan  ;)