Author Topic: Gaviscon and puking  (Read 1676 times)

Offline samandsmudge

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • matthew was born on the 15th october 2005
Gaviscon and puking
« on: February 11, 2006, 14:34:55 pm »
sorru i wasn't sure where to post this, we have been giving matthew gaviscon for nearly a week and it really doesn't seem to be working and its making him constipated i think although according to another thread it could be normal poo due to eating solids!!! aarrrggghhh any help wouild be REALLY appreciated ???

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Gaviscon and puking
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 21:10:22 pm »
how many sachets are you giving? when i first gave my daughter gaviscon no-one told me about the poo's it is quite normal.

Amelie Grace's mum

Offline CarrisElliTylerMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 13:30:16 pm »
Hi,

I really sympathise with your situation. My second daughter, Ellie had a bad reflux problem ever since she was born. She had to have 3 or 4 bibs on at a time, and even then that never soaked it all up. This would happen from the moment she finished her bottle until 3/4 hrs later when she was ready for her next. At first they said she would grow out of it, but when her growth was going down the centile chart, she was referred to the Sick Kids Hospital in Edinburgh. The consultant prescribed her infant gaviscon to put in every bottle of formula. At first, it worked marvellously and she only had the usual possetting after a feed. Then about a month later it all started again. Another trip to the Sick Kids and she was sent for a barium meal just to check there were no blockages anywhere. You can imagine how difficult it was giving a 3 month baby the gloop that had to be taken so that her digestive tract would show up on the x-ray. Anyway, nothing was found and we were told just to continue with the gaviscon, even though it was no longer working.

All i can say is hang in there and it does get better. As soon as Ellie started to sit up and spent more time in a upright position it helped. The introduction of solids also helped. She eventually grew out of it at around 8/9 months.

I would suggest you refrain from putting your lo in a horizontal position as much as you can. A pillow under the mattress of the cot just to elevate a little helps and sitting in a bouncy chair too.

Good luck and happy washing!!!!
Our daughter Carris is 9 on 5th August

Offline Freddies Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 18:45:31 pm »
When Freddie was first diagnosed with Gaviscon he was put on 2 sachets a feed which made him very constipated and uncomfortable. We fiddled around with it and worked out that for his weight (around13 lbs) only one sachet was neccessary. We still had some posseting, but not much, and his poos were ok. When he got bigger (around 19lbs) we upped the dose to 2 sachets as he obviously needed more. His poos were more solid, but he wasn't bothered and they seem easier to clear up than the really runny ones my friends have to deal with.
Try different ammounts of gaviscon to work out what is right for your baby, and if this isn't getting better then go back to the Doctor and talk to them.
Don't worry though as it does get better. I lived in a pool of vomit for months and now Freddie is sitting up happily etc. He hardly vomits at all.
p.s. another friend whose son had reflux swore but getting him on solids asap as they helped weigh his stomach down, I just had more exciting sick all over me and he got a really upset tummy.

Offline samandsmudge

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 09:10:51 am »
thanks for all your help, its so hard cause when he was 4 weeks he was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis and had to have an operation on his tummy so we REALLY know what its like to have projectile vomit but now we just don't know what a normal amount is

Offline CarrisElliTylerMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 21:42:20 pm »
Poor little sausage.  :'( It is so hard to watch your lo go through so much. As long as he is putting on weight and having plenty of wet/dirty nappies, i am sure he will be getting enough nutrition from the milk he is keeping down.

Our daughter Carris is 9 on 5th August

Offline samandsmudge

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 22:20:09 pm »
oh he's definately gaining weight last time he was weighed he was 17lb 10oz and that was at 16 weeks and as for dirty nappies well since putting him on solids he poos for engalnd!!!