Author Topic: Teething or Habit  (Read 893 times)

Offline arigdon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 11, 2006, 19:08:07 pm »
Hello all-am new to this site but have been using Tracy's new book as a wonderful reference.  My LO is 16 weeks old and has been on EASY from day one.  We're feeding every 3 1/2 hours or so, trying to make it to 4 but he can't stay up 2 hours yet.  His napping has improved over the last 2-3 weeks and he goes down very easy at night, often times he is awake when I put him in his crib.  My problem is this last week he wakes up between 9 and 10 pm (he goes down at 7pm) and starts off whining and quickly turns into screaming.  Last night he cried for 1 1/2 hours and the only thing that would calm him was a bottle.  Once I gave in, he only took 2 oz and back to sleep.  I've been BF but I don't think I have enough milk as when I pump I only get 5 ounces and he easily takes 7 ounces when I give him a bottle so we are supplementing with formula.  His cheeks are red when he awakens and he has his hands in his mouth constantly.  His drooling has increased, and he has a little rash on his chin from it being wet.  No increase in his temp but he feels warm?  Am in need of any and all advice--does this sound like teething or has his night feed before bedtime become a prop?  He then wakes up again at 2 and takes a full feed and then sometimes again at 5:30.  Any thoughts???

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Teething or Habit
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 07:01:44 am »
Sounds to me that because you are suplementing with a bottle your milk supply didn't get built up at the 3months growth spurt, so your lo is actually hungry as your breast milk supply & consistency didn't adjust as it would have if you didn't offer top ups.
If you want to continue bf & have a baby that sleeps better, you really need to stop the suplemental feeding & offer the breast lots, like even every 2 hours during the day to build up your supply & for the time being I am pretty sure those night feeds are needed. Do you pump, as pumping for about 10mins after the bedtime & first feed of the day & then offering that in a bottle helped me lots at growth spurt times.

getting 5oz from pumping probably means he is getting close to 7oz as pumping is not as effective as a baby.

Teething may be an issue, but also if he is sleepy when you put him down that may be a problem, but I think it is in part hunger.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05