Author Topic: 8.5 month old waking up sitting and hungry???  (Read 909 times)

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
8.5 month old waking up sitting and hungry???
« on: February 13, 2006, 17:59:57 pm »
My 8.5 month old has been waking up sitting up. a new thing for her. last night was only once and the night before was many times. it is like she does it in her sleep and then gets surprised when she is there. She is also teething and not eating so well during the day. usually only 16 ounces. she does however do well with solids. (3 meals a day) 1--1.5 jars each feeding.

last night I fed her at 1 and she took the whole bottle. I have tried everything to get her to eat more during the day and I am afraid t create a night waking habit from giving her a feeding. this is only recent so not sure what to do. what should I do?

what is the best bet for getting them back to sleep after sitting up?? I don't want to do pu/pd because that really overstimulates her. so what I have been doing is giving her the blanket and rolling up two other blankets on each side to prevent her from rolling and then sitting and then we go in 1/2 hour after and take the blankets out.. ugg. I don't want to do this forever.  ::)

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: 8.5 month old waking up sitting and hungry???
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 00:43:31 am »
Hi Allyson

Don't worry - you won't be doing this forever  ;)

These wakings because of developmental milestones are very common.  When your DD is waking up and she has moved from where she was she IS getting a fright and she does need your help at this stage to settle back down to sleep.  It sounds like you are handling it brilliantly by laying her back down and using the blankets to keep her immobile.  Very shortly she will get used to her new skills and won't be so keen to practice them during the night - and the night wakings will probably stop again (until the next skill comes along  :))

Re the milk issue - if your DD is hungry when she wakes up (because she hasn't fed well during the day) she will be more difficult to resettle, meaning you will have to offer her milk, and a habit will be created.  SO I would try your best to get more milk in during the day (often at this age you need to feed in a darkened quiet room where there are no distractions) to prevent hunger also being an issue in the night.

But because your LO only woke once last night, it sounds like she is probably coming to the end of these wakings. 
Well done on the way you have handled them and good luck to you.