Author Topic: Corn Syrup in Formula  (Read 1327 times)

Offline fiona2006

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 13, 2006, 18:48:17 pm »
Hi,
I am new to this site.  I have just started my 5month and 3 week old on the E.A.S.Y.
and have just lost my milk.  Saddly, I have begun using formula.  I was living in the U.S. and so carefully checked the ingredients and purchased Enfamil LIPIL as according to the ingredients, it did not list corn syrup in the ingredients (and i had lots of coupons).  I have recently come to stay in Canada due to family health issues and purchased what i was told was the equivalent: Enfamil A+.
When i got it home i noticed the ingredients listed  corn syrup and maltodextrin.  I called the company and they said the products Enfamil LIPIL and Enfamil A+ were the exact same product but that they were not required to list these ingredients on the label in the U.S. but that the laws were more strict in Canada and everything must be labeled.
I was shocked.  Does anyone know anything about that?  How can we be sure what we are feeding our child if they are not required to list each and every ingredient in the U.S.
As an aside, I am curious why formula smells and taste like fish- any thoughts?

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: Corn Syrup in Formula
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 21:57:36 pm »
Im not quite sure about the fishy smell but I find the formula really has a nasty smell anyways. 
Are you sure there isn't Emfamil A+ here in Canada, I'm sure I have seen it. 
I don't think the corn syrup is harmful as I used to add it to all my lo bottles due to constipation. 
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline melbatarseh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Corn Syrup in Formula
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 02:22:24 am »
This isn't really addressing what you were asking, but I just wanted to mention an herb called fenugreek to stimulate milk production.  I lost my milk over Christmas because of the stress of travelling and not getting enough sleep, and the fenugreek helped tremendously and quickly (within 24 hours).  Fenugreek comes in capsules and is easy to take.  It was recommended to me by a lactation consultant and a La Leche League leader.  You can get it at health food markets.  I'll be happy to give you some website links if you'd like to read more. 

Melanie
Mother of Isabella, born July 9, 2005