Author Topic: Night Wakings After Immunizations  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Night Wakings After Immunizations
« on: February 13, 2006, 19:08:53 pm »
Not sure if this is better posted here or on Getting Back on Track board but figured would start here. DD gets 6-month shots on Friday. She reacted pretty badly to her two and four month shots (fever of 100-102, cranky, sore, etc) and I'm expecting same will happen this time around. As such, I'm trying to decide how best to deal with any nightwakings that occur after the shots. For some time now, DD has been sleeping through from her bedtime (approx 7:30, give or take 15 minutes) until 5am. She generally wakes at 5am but can usually resettle until 6:15 or so without food.

Assuming she wakes from pain, discomfort, fever, etc after shots, how best to handle? Just give Tylenol and cuddles and try to resettle? Don't want to offer food since she hasn't needed night feeds in a long time...

Thanks in advance!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Night Wakings After Immunizations
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 03:45:31 am »
Yep, just keep the feeding routine the same & offer pain meds & love & attention to help.

BTW often if the 2 & 4 month immunisations give good reactions (temperature is an indication of that), there is not much for the 6month, as it is a "top up" & sounds like your daughter has already had a pretty good immune response.... lets hope that is the case & she sails through this one
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 05:13:58 am »
I'd actually recomend that you use moltrin rather then tylonal because its 8 hours not 4. My doctor had me use it for my LO as she reacted badly too. Also its ok to give her the medication an hour before the shots to help with fever and pain. This could help you. Esspecially when you already had these reactions for the first 2. Otherwise just be there and comfort your LO.
Kimberly

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 11:17:32 am »
Thanks guys. I'm a bit scared of the Motrin - I know it can be tough on their tummies and she has such a sensitive one!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 14:17:46 pm »
Just talk to your doctor about the proper dosage for it. My LO has a sensative tummy too, but the motrin doesn't seem to bother her. I don't use it very often, only when she had the fever afte her needles. Used properly its safe.
Kimberly