Author Topic: has anyone ever experienced THIS?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline cassidyJamiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: February 13, 2006, 19:23:18 pm »
All my other issues aside (and there are plenty, as you may know from all my other frantic posts...)
This one issue has me particularily boggled..

dd, now almost 12 weeks, goes down for the night, fairly easily, around 7ish.  She goes till about 1 and then eats and sometimes goes back down for about 2 hrs, after that it is 45 mins, fussing, crying, resettling, 45 mins again... for the rest of the night.

what is up with the 45 min stints?? It is not hunger, becuz she does not take anything really when i do try to feed her.  What am I supposed to do?  She is still swaddled but i wonder how she is supposed to learn to self soothe without her hands?

Do I keep pat/shhhing till she is old enuf for Pu/PD?? 

Any advice would be appreciated, I am slowly losing my mind...   ::)

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 19:32:34 pm »
Hi there, its me again:o) regarding the baby waking up every 45 minutes--I believe I read that the sleep cycles are about 45 minutes....and it is a point in which they would be more apt to wake up. However, with pat/shhing and a lot of time and patience exercised by you.. it should eventually stop. On the other point, do you give a dream feed? My son used to wake up as well, but once I started the DF within a few nights it stopped. Im not a pro..but we've come a long way!
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 00:01:54 am »
Have you tried leaving your dd a bit to see if she can re-settle herself?  Or does she get into a full blown cry?  Many babies do cry out/grizzle for a minute or two and then quieten down themselves.  I'm sure my dd2 is not even awake when she does this sometimes.

Offline SaraFeliceMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 00:33:04 am »
I just want to show you some support, and let you know you are not alone.  My daughter is 6 months old and wakes up every 45 minutes from 10 pm to usually 4 am. (always goes down without a hitch at 7 pm)  It's been a nightmare.  We've ruled out all medical causes, and she is super happy during the day.  I just bought "Solves All Your Problems" last week, and have found I tried every accidental parenting trick in the book.  Just started PU/PD 4 days ago: not working yet, but hope springs eternal.  She simply cannot put herself back to sleep (very spirited).  You're lucky to start the EASY so early.  Good luck.  I'm also open to any suggestions. 

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: has anyone ever experienced THIS?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 02:43:55 am »
Hello! :)
Good advice from everyone so far.  4 months is a tough age...developing milestones (like rolling over, etc.) can cause them to wake as well.  Is she able to put herself to sleep for naps too?  As far as the swaddling goes, you could leave one arm out.  You may also want to introduce a lovey at this point as well.

SaraFeliceMom.....take heart :)  I first got the bw book when John was 4 months as well.  He was able to put himself to sleep by himself up until 4 months (it's the age I'm telling ya!! ;)).  He could still do nighttime but not naps.  It took us about 3 hard weeks of pu/pd - but haven't looked back since.  He's still an excellent sleeper today!

:)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline dionne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 13:31:43 pm »
Hello I also just wanted to show some support. Mr boy is 14 weeks old and will also sleep at 7 wake at 10 agin at 1 and 4 with 45 min stints from then on. I find around 5pm he wants to go to sleep for the night (maybe sleeping too much) so last night we kept him awake 2 hours before going to bed .  He did wake at 10 (thats ok)  for a feed but then didnt wake until 4am (full feed) and back to sleep for 730am .............That was Great!!!!!!!!!
I also dont swaddle (just didnt seem to help but may try again) but he does get a paci initially when going to sleep.  I also introduced a blankie(one of my sweaters).  Not sure if staying awake a bit longer in the evenings helped but I will try again tonight and keep u posted!!!!

My question is that I find it difficult to stick with EASY(3 hr) when he wakes in the AM (although he should be hungry) he will not take a full feed before activity...therefore I find myself having to give him a little when he wakes and a little before naps etc in order for him to get all his calories for the day. ???? Should I leave him go a bit hungry until his next scheduled feed and after a few days will he be hungry enough to take full feeds at each scheduled feed??????

Would appreciate any advice
ThankYou

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 18:33:43 pm »
Cassidy-my dd had a gas problem around that age (maybe a little earlier) that caused her to wake off and on all night.  Have you ruled that out?
Dionne-I think what you are doing with his feeds is fine.  It's called a top up, and as long as he's not using the feed to fall asleep, you should be okay.  Have you tried giving a little A time before his first morning feed?  My dd doesn't like to eat right away (just as I don't), so we wait 15-30 mins before having breakfast.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline cassidyJamiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 02:06:08 am »
All very interesting insights.  thank you.  I actually have tried the last 2 nights NOT to rush in to her.  I even lowered the monitor and moved it further from my earshot, and She only seems to really wake 3 times, and she eats at each time and MOST OFTEN goes back to sleep.

She also has some eczema on her face and i think part of the rumbling is cuz she is itchy.  I am going to see if she sleeps more soundly when i put her cream on...

Thanx again for all the advice

Offline Adoptivemom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 04:39:22 am »
HeatherC - what did you do about the gas problem? I think my ds has a bit of a gas problem. I pat and rub his back to get rid of it, but it still looks apparent (legs coming up to chest) that he has a bit more. Thanks

Lindsay

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 14:25:11 pm »
I gave her gas drops, commonly known in the brand name Mylicon, with each feeding, and before bed.  It truly helped.  Also, I sat her upright for 15 mins after each feeding, which also helps with reflux.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline brittsy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 17:15:02 pm »
I am having a very similar experience with my 14 month old. . . and he used to sleep through the night!

-Sleepless in Boston