Author Topic: 6 month old not sleeping  (Read 847 times)

Offline mjrogo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 13, 2006, 21:28:47 pm »
My 6 month old is having a rough time at night.  We have been on EASY since day 1 home from the hospital.  He transitioned to the 4 hour EASY without any problems.  He is put down for sleep at night between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m.  He was sleeping until approx. 5 a.m., I would feed him and he'd go right back to sleep until 8:30 a.m.  Now things are very unpredictable.

He started solids 2 weeks ago.  He started rolling all over the house 2 weeks ago.  He is currently teething, they look like they will break any day now.

He is having a hard time going 4 hours between feeds some days.  He still takes a minimum of 3 naps a day, usually his awake window is only about 1 hour and 45 mintues.  We still swaddle him and I still do a dream feed between 10 and 11 p.m.  He gets solids twice a day, supplemented with breastfeeding.  He had seemed less interested in breastfeeding and so I introduced solids, now he is less interested in the solids and wants to nurse more often. 

Some nights in the last 2-3 weeks he will wake every hour.  Some nights it is every 2 hours.  And then more often it is around 2-2:30 a.m. (after a 10-11 p.m. dream feed) and then again around 5-6 a.m.  He'll go 2-3 nights waking in this pattern and I think I've got a habitual waking situation, ready to remedy--the next night he'll wake at 1:30 a.m.  Without fail this is how the last month has gone.  When he wakes, I try not to feed him; but he nights he wakes every hour it seems like he is hungry and usually by the thrid waking I feed him.  Otherwise, I try to wait until the 5 a.m. waking to feed.

He sleeps in his own crib, from day 1.  We did a lot of traveling from Dec-the end of Jan, but have been home for 3 solid weeks now.  If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 6 month old not sleeping
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 23:12:00 pm »
Sounds like he has had a lot going on developmentally & also with the travelling, so that is part of the reason.

The other I'd say is the 6month growth spurt. that is a really big one & for breastfeeding can go on for a couple of weeks. I'd say he is waking to feed & needs to increase your supply. So offer the breast as often as you can in day time & pump if that works for you & definitely feed at night time.... like I said the 6month growth spurt can go on quite a long time as it actually works to change the "consistency" of the milk as well as increase the supply.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05