Author Topic: red rash on cheeks - could this be teething?  (Read 4673 times)

Offline radnad

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
red rash on cheeks - could this be teething?
« on: February 14, 2006, 21:02:15 pm »
Hi there,

My LO (5month) just recently developed a red dry rash on her face and I am wondering about its cause. Could it be a symptom of teething?  Anyone seen this?  She does seem to have fairly sensitive skin (as I'm sure most babies do) but her daddy has a fairly bad case of psoriasis and I am nervous that it might be something to do with that.  Also, wondering whether it could be due to soap & detergent sensitivity so I am changing brands. 
I feel like a female Sherlock Holmes...this mommy stuff...always trying to figure out the cause for something whether it be rashes, or short naps or night wakings....hmmm, I see a pattern.  Guess this is what mommyhood is about..much learning to do

Thanks for any help. Cheers
Nadya

Jaiden - sept 12, 05 :P

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • http://www.crystal-seasons.co.uk
Re: red rash on cheeks - could this be teething?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 21:29:14 pm »
My Lo also gets this dry red rash now and then, I think it is dribble which could be to do with teeth!!??? I hope he has it when I see HV so I can ask her
clare
Life's a journey, not a destination!

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 21:48:39 pm »
Have you started any new food recently that might have caused the rash? Any new bath products? It could well be your washing powder but I'd only be inclined to think that way if there was any rash elsewhere too (DS had a reaction to ours and came out in a rash, I thought he had chicken pox  :-[ ) My DS gets v.red cheek's if he is teething so it may well be this as you suspect, does she have any other teething symptoms? bumps on her gums, a sore bottom, diarrhoea, being cranky or off her food? It always a process of elimination when we try and find out what is wrong with our LO's, post back soon  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 22:33:46 pm »
Have you dairly recently started solids?  If so, it could just be dryness from washing/wiping her face after eating.  My dd had this and I played detective of everthing I could think of before taking her to the doc and getting a diagnosis of "really dry skin."  She just recommended using a good cream, not just a lotion, on dd's face after eating and after bath. She recomended Cetaphil cream.  I wouldn't try eliminating too many things at once or you won't figure out which thing it was.  I alsio wouldn't blame your detergent if you haven't changed it recently.  Good luck!

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 22:49:12 pm »
Ryan has this , is it quite rough ? it could be mild eczema . or like previous poster it could be an allergy.

[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 22:17:46 pm »
there are sooooo many rashes!! my ds gets this everynow and then i think often it's from scratches that get red from drool and as mentioned possibly from teething.....i would just keep an eye on it and use cotton balls on the face instead of washcloths, they are far more gentle.  I also use Aveeno cream unscented for his face, and usually at night so it stays on and moisturizes......but I wouldn't worry even if it's diagnosed as something specific there aren't allot of remedies for them anyways
 good luck

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline Minimonkey

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • I can't believe he's one already....
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 19:49:54 pm »
My LO has this also - it is eczema in his case, we just use a cream on his face twice a day and it seems to help alot.  We use Burt's Bees Baby Cream.
Actually, you can see his red cheeks in the photo below  ;D

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 19:54:04 pm »
you can see it in my avatar aswell , we had just been out so it looks really bad , but he never seems to scratch it.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 05:04:29 am »
Is she too young to get Fifth Disease?  It's not really a disease, it's "actually just a viral illness that most children recover from quickly and without complications.  Fifth disease occurs everywhere in the world. Outbreaks of parvovirus tend to happen in the late winter and early spring, but there may also be sporadic cases of the disease any time throughout the year."

Here's a link to more info:  http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/fifth.html

I'm sure she's too young for this since it typically occurs in children 5-15 years old, but my cousin's daughter JUST got over it and she's 3 yo and that's the only reason I thought of it when I saw the mention of "red rash" in the title.  Apparently, if she were to have it, it's not a big deal at all.  It's only a bit dangerous for pregnant women as it may cause some issues for the fetus.

Let us know what you find out.  I'm sure it's nothing.  :-)  *HUG*
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Nate'sMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 06:34:56 am »
Yes, yes, yes.  I think everyone here nailed it.  My LO gets the rash too.  And he has eczema.  And he is teething.  And it is worse after eating meals and having his face wiped.  The best thing I have found to put on it is ointment like A and D or Aquaphor.  Super messy, but it provides a much needed moisture barrier on his sensitive skin.  It's a vicious cycle.  The chin seems to be our worst spot.  I don't think it hurts him too much, but he sure does hate to have his face wiped.

Good luck!

PS DS1 had Fifths Disease this winter and the characteristic "Slaped Cheek" of Fifths looks completely different from this.  I would say this rash is more orange-y almost and tiny little bumps rashy.  Fifths looks way more red, way more lacey and truely like someone slapped you in the face.
Kelli ~ Nate AND Ian's mommy