Author Topic: Habit or Hungry??  (Read 1010 times)

Offline marleysmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Habit or Hungry??
« on: February 15, 2006, 22:34:06 pm »
My 14 week and 2 day old baby girl wakes up every morning at 4am!! We have been on EASY since the day she came home. During the day her schedule is sporatic as my mom watches her while I work, so it is difficult for Grandma to maintain a schedule!! She eats about 6 oz every three hours from 7am until 8:30pm when she goes down. She takes about 1 to 1.5 hour naps during the day until 5pm when we try to keep her awake until 8:00, put her in the bath, give her a bottle, and put her down wide awake in her crib. She puts her head down doesn't make a peep and is out by 9:00, bedtime is the easiest part of our day!! We don't hear from her until 4am every morning, sometime between 4 and 4:15 she starts crying, and we have always given her a bottle. We have worked the bottle down to 3.5 ounces, last night we tried 3oz, she fussed for a few minutes, but went right back to sleep until around 7:00 am.
We have moved her bedtime later by one hour. When we laid her down at 7:30 she would wake up crying around 3:00am. I don't want to keep her from eating if she is hungry, but it seems like a habit to me. We have already weaned her of the pacifier as it became a sleep prop, but she has been falling asleep on her own with no fuss since she was 2 weeks old. When she was still using the pacifier she would fall back to sleep sucking before the bottle was warm, so we would have to wake her to give her the bottle. Do I continue the feeding??? Please Help, She is a big baby, 8lb 6oz at birth, now close to 14.5 lbs.
Marleys Mommy
Marleys Mommy

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Habit or Hungry??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 22:39:35 pm »
At 14 weeks I would say that she's deifnitely hungry. That's wonderful that she goes from 9 - 4, my ds doesn't even do that and he's almost 6 months!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline marleysmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 02:20:34 am »
We change her diaper when she wakes at 4am, could that be creating a habit in the future? If it is only VERY wet, but not leaking, should we still change her?
Thank you for the reply!
Marleys Mommy

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 17:02:35 pm »
I think that depends on your lo. Does changing the diaper wake her, or get her riled up thinking that it's time to be up for the day? Or does she not care and go right back to sleep? I think that when Colin was that age we still changed him about once a night, but now we don't change him at night at all. As they get older they don't tend to go quite as often anymore.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline marleysmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 17:34:54 pm »
We change her, give her a bottle and she goes right back to sleep. I really do think it is a habit now because of last night. We did not change her, but gave her the bottle. It took her 30 min to take barely 3 oz. she was playing with the bottle most of the time, and she wasn't acting hungry. During the day she will eat over 6 oz in less than 20 min most of the time. I wanted to try wake to sleep last night so I went in at 3:00, since her regular wake time is 4am, but she was laying there awake! So I walked out and went back to bed. Of course at 4am she was crying and she got her bottle to "play" with. I am very confused with this baby!!
Marleys Mommy