Author Topic: night waking 3 month old  (Read 1297 times)

Offline newmomincali

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 16, 2006, 19:32:56 pm »
Hi there,

We have unfortunately been rocking my 11 week old babe to sleep since birth.  It has gotten to the point now that he needs to be rocked and then held for up to an hour before he can be put down to sleep.  Even then if he does wake when we are very carefully laying him down he cries until we pick him up and start all over again.  He is still feeding in the night aprox every 3-4 hours but wakes probably 2-3 more times just to be consoled.  It takes close to an hour each time to put him down just for him to wake 20 mins later.  It is really starting to ware on me as I am getting no sleep.  We started a week ago with an earlier bedtime (7pm) which he has taken to well but it hasn't affected the number of times he wakes.  He naps usually 3 times in the day but all good naps are in the swing because he wakes after about 25 mins napping in the cradle or crib.  I am convinced that I need to now teach him how to fall asleep on his own.  We plan to try the gentle removal system this weekend but i had some questions. 

Here is my plan
6:30 dim lights, feed, diaper and pjs, rock/hold with lullaby until drowsy, put to bed and use pat-shh to soothe

my questions are...
1. is it ok to rock him in the chair to get him to a drowsy state or should I just hold him
2. when he cries do I continue to pat shh or pick him up to calm him and then replace him in the crib when calm and pat shh
3.  how much crying do I have to allow?

I am very anxious to give this a try.  Any idea of how long it will take?  I have a very "spirited" baby.

Thanks

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: night waking 3 month old
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 21:04:42 pm »
Unfortunitly this is a common problem. Its a hard one to brake with a spirited baby too, they can be very stuburn. Be prepared for this to take up to a week, possably more depending on how spirited your LO is.
Do you rock to sleep for naps and night sleep??

I would actually recomend that because you have a spirited baby you try this tacktic. Its one I used for my LO and it worked. It took a bit of ajusting to fit her, but after 4 nights she now sleeps all by herself at all naps and bedtime.

Instead of rocking or singing him into a sleepy state you'll need to watch very carefully for his signals that he's tired. Because you have a spirited baby PU/PD may not work. When you sing to him your stimulating instead of soothing.
For naps try 45-50 minute intervals for putting him down and just pat/shush if he cries, try not to pick up as it will over stimulate.
For betime routine try a bath to sooth and relax him, Johnsons & Johnsons soothing bath works great for settling fussy babies. (you can use a genaric brand too, just make sure its lavender as its soothing and makes baby sleepy) Sing to him while he's in the tub or while your dressing him. If you sing in the rocking chair you'll over stimulate and wake him up and you'll not get him into sleep.
Then after bath put him into PJ's darken the room and feed him his last bottle, don't talk or sing to him. This will help relax him. If he falls asleep eating its ok as long as its not an unbrakeable habbit. Once he's finished his bottle, lay him down for sleep. (Swaddle if you swaddle, give Paci if you use it) Then leave the room. Use pat/shush if he fusses, and again try to to do PU/PD as it might overstimulte and keep him from sleeping.
When doing pat/shush you may only need to do the patting part.
As I said this could take 3 days, it could take a week. It will work. Just be confident in yourself and your abilities.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline newmomincali

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 00:59:41 am »
Thanks for the info,

My other question is do I start just with night time or do i do it for all naps as well from the beginning? And if he really cries do i do PU/PD?

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 02:42:42 am »
I would recomend both, and I would also suggest you start with pat/shush and then if that doesn't work then PU/PD. Also listen for the mantra cry, for my LO is was a soft cry, it would ocasionally get higher, but I knew it wasn't an "I need you now cry" If its more of a fuss then crying try leaving your LO for a few minutes to see if they will settle, if you go in to soon then they never learn to settle themselves. The tricky part is knowing when its a mantra cry, or a fuss and not a cry. Don't do CIO but also don't rush in. Do you know what I mean??
Kimberly

Offline newmomincali

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 03:38:43 am »
I just wanted to give a quick update.  I have been very consitant for 3 nights.  The first night my LO woke 6 times but only 3 were to feed.  Last night he went to bed awake and woke only twice only to eat!!!!!!   He also fell asleep in his stroller today (which he has never done before).  He has gone down awake for all his naps and today he slept for 2 hours (the most he has ever napped in his crib).  I am extremely pleased with the results even though tonight it took 15 mins of patting and shhing and I had to do PU/PD twice I know it is working!  Thanks for the advice!

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 05:07:05 am »
I'm thrilled that things are going so well for you.  :D
Keep up the good work  ;D
Its amasing what a little persistence can do isn't it. Please keep me informed and feel free to ask any other questions you may have :)
Kimberly