Author Topic: bassinet to crib -LONG NIGHT - help!!  (Read 1376 times)

Offline aj's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 17, 2006, 05:16:00 am »
I decided yesterday that it is time that DD, now a week short of 4 months old,  sleep in her crib for the entire night as opposed to just falling asleep in there, me getting her at 11 to dreamfeed then put in bassinet in our room.... also during her middle of the night feeds, I would pull her into bed with me and we both sort of would just fall asleep so she could be eating for 5 minutes but sleeping for 20 by the time I would wake up and put her back in the bassinet but she would be totally asleep by then.
So, we did the normal routine, and instead of bringing her back at 11, I fed her in her room, then put her back - that was fine, BUT she then woke up pretty much EVERY HOUR!!! I would finish feeding her and put her down and she would cry so I went back, tried feedign agian but she would just fall asleep at the boob, but then put her back and cry again.... what a LOOOOONG night!! I gave her the paci a few times to try to calm her down but as soon as it fell out she would cry again - not something she ever needed in her bassinet....
I think she just got used to being awake and falling asleep in a warm cozy bed with mom where food is readily available, kwim?
Soo, how long will this take - her transitioning to her crib - any techniques I could use??

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: bassinet to crib -LONG NIGHT - help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 05:38:36 am »
My lo had problems at first with his crib, I geuss maybe a bassinet was so small and then to a hugh crib right..... ???
I actually started putting lo in one of those wedges, and swaddled him so he wouldn't feel like he was in such an open space(mind you I did this a 2 or 3 months I believe)
Also at one point I would put my shirt that I was wearing in his crib with him so he would still have my smell near.  It only took my guy a couple nights to get used to it, but as er all know every baby is different, but worth a shot.
Good luck
hth :)
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 06:24:27 am »
Something I did was to put my kids in the crib sideways instead of longways (is that a word?).  Then I put a wedge pillow next to them.  It made the crib feel smaller until they got used to it.  Worth a shot!  Plus I would put a heating pad on low while I was doing middle of the night feeds.  Then the sheet was nice and warm when I laid them down. 
I wouldn't think it should take too long to adjust since you lo goes down in the crib at the beginning of the night.
Good luck!
melissa
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er

Offline SophieB

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 08:33:37 am »
Not sure if this will help, as you've already started, but my mum encouraged me to put the bassinette IN the crib for a while, so Ellie could see the crib around her over the top of the bassinette, IYKWIM.  It seemed to work, because there was nary a peep out of her when I did finally move her out of the bassinette.
Eleanor - 13/12/04

Offline Aiden and Marlo's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 14:05:57 pm »
I put Marlo in her crib with her head up in one corner so she was kindof sticking out diagonally, kwim?  She adjusted really well.

HTH! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

Offline aj's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 18:03:47 pm »
Thanks for all the great ideas! Hmmm which one to try tonight!! 
What I have been doing wrong is that I am feeding her every time she wakes up which is every hour and she eats for a few minutes before dozing off but wakes up when I put her back in her crib - I need to try and feed her at least every 2 hrs like she used to do - she is 4 months old almost!!
Thanks, keep the ideas coming!!

Offline aj's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 18:52:10 pm »
Well I tried the 'bassinet in the crib" techinque and that helped a little - she went every two hours last night and ate every time then passed out right away... only once did she cry once I put her down but I guess she was still hungry. 
Now we need to work on the waking every 2 hours for food at 4 months issue!!  Isn't that a little too often for her age?