Author Topic: My son hates the taste of milk  (Read 1229 times)

Offline compoguide26

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My son hates the taste of milk
« on: February 17, 2006, 12:28:38 pm »
Hi, my ds is 17 months old and has never liked milk, he loves his formula and has the 'growing up' formula but i would love to stop that soon and have him drink normal cows milk.  During the day he has juice and squash and only has a bottle in the morning and at night, i have tried flavouring the milk but he still doesn't really like it and one time gagged on it.
I know that milk is an important part of his diet for the calcium etc and was wondering if any of you had any tips to try to get him to like it.

looking forward to your replies

Emma

Offline mommyOfX

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • pillowhead designs
Re: My son hates the taste of milk
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 18:36:53 pm »
My son is 19 months and has also never liked milk.  He drinks calcium enriched orange juice, which has the same amount of calcium as milk.  He does eat yogurt and cheese though.  Does your DS like yogurt?  You could make smoothies with milk, yogurt and fruit.  We keep offering ds milk in the hopes that one day, he will like it, but the pediatrician said not to worry too much, because he is drinking the orange juice.  Is it really important that he like milk, or are you mainly worried about the calcium intake?
~*~*~*~
Angela (formerly X's mommy)
mommy to Xavier Ronan

my online shop: http://pillowhead.etsy.com

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 21:17:25 pm »
You could also try soy or rice milk - both enriched.  We took DD off all dairy.  She never really took to her whole milk in a sippy cup...now w/ the rice milk -she LOVES she sippy w/ the vanilla rice milk!

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 17:27:57 pm »
My DD went off milk totally at 1year old ::) so she now has cheese and yogurts to keep up her calcium intake.  If he doesn't like milk i wouldn't stress too much about it my doctor said as long as they are getting their calcium from somewhere i:e-dairy products then that is fine! :)
HTH
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]