Author Topic: 15 week old waking at night with thrashing legs!!!!!!!  (Read 3201 times)

Offline JennyE

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
15 week old waking at night with thrashing legs!!!!!!!
« on: February 17, 2006, 16:40:57 pm »
My 3 month old son has never slept thru the night.  He's BF and for the most of the first three months he ate every 3 hours thru the night.  He did however grow 5 inches and 6 pounds during that time - so he has been on a major growth spurt since birth I think :) We have a very consistent bedtime routine of BF, bath, and then I only have to hold him for about 5 minutes and he gets very heavy eyes.  He goes down most nights still slightly awake in his crib in his own room (usually around 8:30).  I then usually dream feed him around 11:00pm without any real problems.  When he wakes for his feeds, he usually eats and goes right back to sleep.

A few weeks ago, I started to try to stretch the time at night atleast by and hour or two.  When he would wake up I would go into his room, leave him in his crib, give him his paci and shush him for a few minutes.  It seemed to work some - he would stay asleep until about 3:30 or 4:00.  I would feed him and he would sleep again until 7:00-7:30.  This wasn't perfect, but I was atleast feeling human.

This week, he has started again waking up about 1:00AM and will not easily resettle.  I try, and he rests for about 10 minutes at a time.  I re-settle him repeatedly utnil about 2:30 AM until I just decide to feed him - thinking maybe he his really hungry.  He then sleeps until 5:00 ish and I repeat above until about 6:15-6:30 when I go ahead and feed him.  He then will sleep until about 8:00.

He has been swaddles almost the whole 3 months - he wouldn't sleep not swaddled.  But during this last week, he was getting one of his legs out of the swaddle blanket.  When I would go into his rrom, he was just kicking and kicking his legs.  I thought maybe that he was trying to free himself from the swaddle, and in the process waking himself up.  So for the past 2 nights, I have just put him to sleep in his sleep sack.  He has been going to sleep fine, but waking around 2 and 5 again - with his legs just out of control kicking.  It is more than just a little jolt, etc.. that babies do during their sleep.  And I don't leave him crying in his room very long.

Any ideas???  SHoudl I just keep feeding him when he wakes and then put him back to sleep?  It is almost easier, but I have really been trying not to establish any bad habits.  I would like to stretch his nightime sleeps out for everybody!!!  I don't want him to get into the habit of eating every three hours forever :)  And any idea on the lefg thrashing about?  I could reswaddle him, but it didn't seem any more successful than the last few nights when I have been leaving him unswaddles.

Sorry for the long post.  Any advice is appreciated!  I am starting to get really exhausted, and feel like I barely have the energy to be a good mom during the daytime.  Also, I am supposed to be going back to work just 2 days a week starting in March - I don't know how I am going to be able to concentrate and be productive.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 17:10:47 pm by JennyE »

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 15 week old waking at night with thrashing legs!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 16:42:18 pm »
i am running but just saw your post and skimmed through it as best i can right now but just wanted to say my spirited lo would also thrash her legs - it seemed to be worse when she was overtired though...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline brittsy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 15 week old waking at night with thrashing legs!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 17:27:12 pm »
My lo (16 weeks) had been waking every 45 minutes for the last five  nights in row.  We bought an "Air Flow Sleep Positioner," swaddled him and tried it out last night.  It is basically a wedge that keeps him from thrashing around and keeps him on his back.  It seems to have helped.  He only woke once last night.  We'll see how the next few nights go but I'm pretty hopeful. . .