Author Topic: Don't know how to respond because I don't know what's wrong?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline alex and danny

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Don't know how to respond because I don't know what's wrong?
« on: February 20, 2006, 03:00:26 am »
My 6 month old started to wake up frequently at night about a week ago.  He used to wake, occasionally once at night...paci back in and off to sleep.  He sleeps well in the day - 2 (1.5 h each) naps, bedtime at 7 or 7:30.  He is bf with a formula df.  He has been on solids for a month and a half and has two bottom teeth already.  I have offered a bf at 4 or 6 in am when desperate and he has taken about half a feed (5-8 min.)  I don't know what is happenning?  Is it a growth spurt?...I have started to give him both breasts...still wakes.  Is it teething?  How can I tell?  Is it separation anxiety? How would I know it?....Any suggestion or ideas would be greatly appreciated!   ???
Alex with fun and supportive husband Danny; proud parents of our Angel/Touchy Jacob

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: Don't know how to respond because I don't know what's wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 03:52:09 am »
Hi

It is very common for Jacob's age group to have some developmental awakenings.  How is Jacob falling asleep at the beginning of the night?  Does he fall asleep feeding?  Sometimes?? 

There is also a growth spurt at about 6 months - often related to extra mobility requiring extra fuel.  I would suggest you try and increase daytime calories, feed at night if necessary and try to make sure that your LO is falling asleep independently at the beginning of the night.

HTH
Jo

Offline alex and danny

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 00:03:34 am »
No, he doesn't fall asleep eating.... He has been "sleep trainned" since about 3 months old.  I put him down drowsy/awake with a paci.  Last night he woke up, possibly every hour or so... he was fine as soon as he would feels my hand near him.... Ny dh tried - he cried, my mom tried - cried a little, but he was easily soothed with my presence?  He slept all of about 6 hours all night - the longest bout was of 1.5 hours.  What is that? I know some more teeth are comming since he's biting down alot... I am at a loss?>>>.... ??? Thanks for any ideas
Alex with fun and supportive husband Danny; proud parents of our Angel/Touchy Jacob

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 00:32:05 am »
Hi there

OK - probably one of a couple of things:

Separation anxiety - he is just testing you out a bit, making sure you will come when he calls you.  Mostly this is eased by promptly responding to him and attending to his needs.  Once he knows you WILL come when he calls he will call out to you less

or

Growth spurt - as I said in my pp this is prime age for a growth spurt

or

Paci addiction - if this is the case and you wish to wean then look at the gradual weaning thread or the props board for advice.

HTH

Offline alex and danny

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 15:19:38 pm »
Thanks!  Last night was alot better  ::)  he only woke up twice...the first time he was ok once he saw me, he looked for his paci, and popped it back in his mouth and sleep.  The next time was around 4:30 am, he seemed very congested - so I extracted some mucus from his nose... and he was off to dreamland!  Thanks for your suggestions... have you had any experience with stuffed up noses at night?  He sounds congested only at night? I tried to raise his bed, but he rolls so much that he ends up at the bottom. 
Thanks again... :) Alex
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 15:24:27 pm by alex and danny »