Author Topic: Dream Feeds  (Read 1098 times)

Offline SallyAndNick

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:47:01 am »
Hi,

We are now 1wk and 1day old for the lo, and we still cannot get the dream feeds working.  Consistently between 10 and 11, lo is dead to the world.  We gently try to get the bottle into lo's mouth, to no avail.  Lastnight we tried our best, and I think lo took one or two mouthfuls and persisted in wonderland.  Is there any advice for administering the dream feed you can give? We have two specific questions:

1. How much should we expect lo to take in ml?
2. How much should we expect lo to take in cluster feeds? I read somewhere that cluster feeds arent supposed to take too much, as the dream feed is the main top-up for bed -just want to clarify this.

Many thanks,

Sally and Nick.

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 20:57:01 pm »
Hi again,
Just a few questions. What do the general feeding times look like for your LO? IS it about every 3 hours? As I said before, I started my son on EASY at 3 months....so I dont know ALOT about a 1 week old, but my LO didn't take very much at all in the beginning. And then, he would take 4 ounces, then reduced it himself to 3, 2, 1 then nothing.
So, depending on what time you last fed your LO, it could alter the DF, and the amount.
Also, is he/she still waking up throughout the night to feed? That, in my opinion would be normal, i dont think one so young could go more than  a few hours without feeding. But, by introducing the DF, it is good training for a little way down the road, when you should expect your LO to sleep through the night.
Hope this helps..Im sure there are more experienced people out there than me!
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Re: Dream Feeds
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 21:23:37 pm »
I've never been successful with a DF (not because of DD, it's all me), but some have posted that it can take 2 weeks for it to "take".  Plus, your LO is so young that it might be too early???  Not sure.  But, keep trying and if you need some extra rest, you could probably skip trying for a night until your LO takes the feed.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt