Author Topic: Another reason (other than hunger) night wakings can occur  (Read 18259 times)

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Another reason (other than hunger) night wakings can occur
« on: February 20, 2006, 23:15:20 pm »
Just wanted to see if I could add one more to the list :P I know this has worked for a number of moms.

Sleep Deprivation over several days/weeks/months

Because sleep depravation is cumulative, one day/night of not getting around the recommended amt. of  sleep may not effect the next night, or the one after that. Not getting the recommended amt of sleep over several days/weeks will eventually come back to bite you. Often this happens in lo's who are only getting less than 7 or so hours of sleep by 3 months, less than 10 by 4 months, and less than 11 by 6 months at night, and then are not getting enough sleep during the day. Because night sleep can affect how they sleep during the day, and vice versa, it can turn into a vicious cycle. Night wakings are common in babies over 4 months that go to bed after 8 or 9 pm, because they often wake at 6 or 7 am (i.e. not getting the recommended amt. of night sleep). Some actually get up earlier over time (which leads to early am wakings). While some lo's don't fit the "early bedtime" mold, most do, and actually welcome it.

Fixing it: Put your lo to bed earlier for several nights. What this does is allow him/her to catch up on lost sleep. It might not eliminate night wakings immediately, but it should help, and hopefully eliminate them over a few days. For instance, if your lo wakes at 7 am, try putting them to bed at 6 or 6:30 for several nights and see if anything changes. It may take some training to move bedtime back...so move it back slowly, maybe by a half hour every other night. After 3 months or so, a bedtime between 6 and 8 is recommended.

You and your lo know how much sleep they need. Some need less, some more. If nightwaking is an issue and your lo use to function fine on less sleep than the recommended, consider increasing the amt. of night sleep and see if it helps. You might be pleasently surprised by the results!

This advice taken (well, summerized really) from Dr. Weissbluth's book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child".

Just thought I'd submit this and see if it helps anyone else :)

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005