Author Topic: 10 month old waking but not going back to sleep  (Read 1566 times)

Offline corwin56

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month old waking but not going back to sleep
« on: February 21, 2006, 18:40:42 pm »
My DD was a dream to put to sleep.  We would put her in her crib and she would fall asleep and we would not hear from her until 7 the next morning.  Now that she is crawling, pulling herself up, and trying to walk she will wake up in the middle of the night.  That would not be a problem for me except we can't get her back to sleep.  No matter what we do (rocke, cuddle,rub her back or head, ect).  She will go to sleep if we bring her in our bed but I DO NOT want to start that.  If I leave her in her crib she will cry.  I haven't seen how long she will because I go and get her.  She has gone for two hours at most with about 5 min. pauses inbetween a min. of crying.  What can I do???

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 10 month old waking but not going back to sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 04:29:59 am »
part of it is developmental, I am going through the same, the new skill of pulling up is a big novelty & also separation anxiety is an issue at this time, so if she wakes up & is alone, she needs to know you come for her, so PLEASE don't let her cry alone, as you will only make it worse on yourself.

The other factor is you may need to "tweek" her routine so she is tireder at night... what is your day routine like & what do you do to wind her down for bedtime, just incase there is a "prop" issue.

i do think separation anxiety is part of the problem, so she really does need you there... I slept on the floor at times with my ds#1 & as yet have only needed to do that 2x with ds#2, both occasions he was sick, but I think that is a better option than bringing them into your bed
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline corwin56

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 14:00:22 pm »
This all started when we went to visit my parents.  I agree that it is separation anxiety.  At night we get in to our PJ and then have our bottle and read two book, sing a lullaby a go to bed.  I used to be able to lave the room and that would be the end of it we would not hear from her until the next morning.  A few weeks ago she got a cold and I started to rock her to sleep and I think that it was a bad Idea and now I am paying for it.  Last night we slept through the night but I think that was only because she was very tired.  We will see.

Offline morrisj1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 10:38:54 am »
hi there, have seen your dilemma and am having same problem. My son is 12month and pulling self up in cot. Will go down ok at 7pm then awake howling incontrollably. Tried pu/pd last night 3 times and it was getting shorter each time I went in. This am decided to not want to go for sleep at 9.30 and howled/ stood up and laughed. Could be teething if he is waking every 2 hours and chewing you think?

Offline josm

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 11:19:19 am »
Hi there, I am having the same issues.  My son is 8 1/2 months old and has been waking numerous times during the night. He was previously so good, at just over 3 months you could pop him in his cot awake and he would sleep from 6-6 or 7-7 with the occasional wake up during the night which only required sticking the dummy back in.  I think the problems started when he learnt how to roll over onto his tummy, but wasn't able to roll back over, therefore he used to cry for us to come in and turn him back over which would be several times until he fell asleep.  To solve the problem we thought we would stay with him with our hand gently on his tummy to stop him rolling over until he started to drift off.
I think that was our biggest mistake?  He goes off to sleep well enough - but you have to stay with him giving him a pat and a ssh.  He is only sleeping about 1 hour in the morning and 1.5 in the afternoon, occasionally he has a late afternoon sleep of about 1 hour. He has about 12 hours overnight, but that is broken by waking - to which the only way to settle him most times is to pick him up and cuddle him till he goes off to sleep.  He screams the house down the minute you walk out the door if he is not asleep.   He only stays up about 1.5 hours first thing in the morning - do you think keeping him up longer would help?
He is now crawling and getting his next two teeth I think also.
When do they get over sep anxiety?  I'm worried about creating more problems patting him to sleep and having to get him up during the night?
Any advice would be appreciated. :)