Author Topic: help! how can i get my baby to accept a bottle, going back to work soon  (Read 938 times)

Offline evelyn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Can anyone please offer me advice my 4 1/2 month old is refusing to take a bottle.  Im heading back to work soon and will be working 3 12 hour shifts a week, so am very worried.  It has been suggested to wean her cold turkey but this sounds terribly cruel.  Iv tried different teats and all of that and am now on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  Can anyone offer advice?  Has anyone tried the cold turkey methon? Please help.  Evelyn.
Proud mum to Alice 16/3/1999 and Lily 7/10/2005

Baby No. 3 due 20th May 2008.

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
Re: help! how can i get my baby to accept a bottle, going back to work soon
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 16:08:40 pm »
Ethan didn't like the bottle either!!! it really made me worried but as it turns out, he now takes milk from a cup.  also, you can sneak ebm into baby food.  on a good day, Ethan has 2 ounces of ebm in his cereal and another 2 ounces from a cup, 2 ounces with lunch and two ounces with a midafternoon snack.

can you do flexi-time so that you can go in for one feed?  we do that and it helps me to feel that Ethan is settled into nursery because i can check and see everyday!

but back to the cup, get one that is flexible so you can suit it to your lo's mouth, no spout or anything.  if that doesn't work you could get a carer to feed her ebm from a spoon.  its what the do with premies often.

good luck, its hard starting out but i think its been good for us too!  we have been doing nursery for nearly 2 months now and it DOES get easier!
HTH!

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 16:36:27 pm »
Lots of tips here.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=9215.0

You can always try when your lo when she's not really hungry.  Also, are you using formula or EBM?  Sometimes you have to try different formulas to find one that works.  We tried 3.

Good luck!
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline evelyn

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 21:19:33 pm »
Thanks for the tips!  I will definately try the cup, but is that enough to keep her going?  I dont know how much she is getting now but i feel that it must be more as i am feeding her all the time!  Unfortunately, there is no option of flexi time, Iv already reduced my hours, but hopefully i'll be able to see her on my lunch hour, I dont drive so will be on my bike< at least I'll loose some weight! DH is all for the cold turkey weaning as he will be minding her for 1 day a week, but I dont think he realises how hard it would be. I am very very reluctant to do so.  I have tried various formulas, but will probably stick with ebm.  She had been taking bottles of ebm, but had 1 bottle of formula and puked and hasnt taken one since.  She certainly knows her own mind I'll give her that!  will keep ye posted Thanks again. ???
Proud mum to Alice 16/3/1999 and Lily 7/10/2005

Baby No. 3 due 20th May 2008.

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 21:52:54 pm »
I am not trying to endorse a product, but the only formula my ds would take is Similac advance.  Just in case you were curious.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)