Author Topic: 13 month old wakes up 45 mins. after bedtime. Please help!!  (Read 1504 times)

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
13 month old wakes up 45 mins. after bedtime. Please help!!
« on: February 24, 2006, 02:43:27 am »
Hi,

My ds has been waking up since about 6 months 2-3 times within a 2-3 hour period right after he has been put to sleep.

So I put him down at 6:30- 7 pm (short bedtime routine, knows how to fall asleep on his own) then he will wake up over and over again during the first couple of hours of the night. And then in the middle of the night he will wake up again and let out a cry and usually falls back asleep on his own. So this has been happening for months and months. I am so tired, my dh and I cannot go anywhere cause no one can watch him at night since he wakes up so often.

So at first I linked the night wakings with teething, milestones, walking, seperation anx, etc. But why is it still happening. Now more than ever he will wake up at the 45 min. mark. He is put down awake but then starts crying again after 10 mins. He starts with a whimper then starts crying really loudly and takes a while to calm him down. When you get him, he will cry even louder. So after he is calmed he is put down awake again and he doesn't seem upset, you could hear him babble a little. Then after like 10 mins, he cries again. And this can continue for at least 2 times until the next wake up.

So the strangest part is, everytime we let him CIO (5-6 times) he had poo. So is he pooing from all the crying or is he really pooing??? The thing is he rarely poos at nite anymore.  It;s pretty freaky.

Anyway how can I fix this problem??

He still naps twice a day. 2.5.-3 hours

Nightsleep. An average of 11-11.5  hours on good nights, maybe 10.5 on bad ones.

Oops, he's crying again, after putting him down the 2 nd. time, gotta go.

Bye
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 02:51:10 am by a_astorga »

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: 13 month old wakes up 45 mins. after bedtime. Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:31:42 am »
So he is still napping twice a day?  He could be ready to move to one nap a day, and is maybe waking bcause he just is not that tired.  What does his bedtime routine look like?  How does he fall asleep?

I would not recommend cio at all as that breaks trust, and could set you up for a whole host of other problems.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
Re: 13 month old wakes up 45 mins. after bedtime. Please help!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 15:35:33 pm »
Hi,

Well he is also teething, last night it was extra bad and I saw a tooth. However it's always like this. It’s been like thin for 6 months now!! He always wakes up after bedtime. It could be from 35-45 min. or sometimes more. BUT HE ALWAYS WAKES UP!! You can hear him squirm at 30 min. and nothing, then he will go back to sleep on his own. But then at 40-45 mins he starts yelling!!

So if he sees his dada it's extra bad, I go upstairs, try to calm him down and sometimes it's really hard, then he sees his dada putting his jammies on or whatever and the screaming gets really really bad. So dada calms him down faster but he is still crying really hard even in his arms. So why is he doing this? I thought separation anxiety, but wouldn't he stop as soon as we pick him up? It seems that sometimes the crying gets worse when we pick him up. So this really confuses me. If it were the teething wouldn't he have crappy days and naps. His naps are great during the day and he is a very happy boy. It's like a whole different baby come bedtime.

So here's our routine:

Usual wake up 6-6:30  (It's been kind of nutty for the past 2 weeks)
5 oz bottle about 30 mins. later he woke up.
Breakfast about 45- 1 hour after he drank his milk

Then upstarirs for bath and nap.
Awake time is usually 2.5-3 hours
Naptime around 8:30-9:00  (1-1.5 hours)

5 oz Bottle about 11-11:30  (he usually eats every 3.5-4 hours)
Lunch about 45-1hour after bottle
Playtime

Then upstairs for second nap
Awake time is usually from 3.5-4 hours, more 3.5 (1.5 hours)
Naptime around 2 ish

5 oz bottle plus snack at around 4:00-4:30
play play
Then dinner at around 6 pm
Then bedtime.
Awake time 4 hours

So at 3.5 awake time, I take him upstairs and get him ready for bed.
Put his jammies on, sing him a song and then look out the window to say goodnight to the world.

Take him to his room and give him his bobo (puppy doll) and leave.
He falls asleep on his own. No night bottle.

... and then the nightmare begins...

So his naptimes vary a lot depending what time he woke up. And 1/2 the time I have no idea what time he woke up. For instance this morning, heard him at 5:30 am babble. I was really tired from last night and was just out of it. Then I heard him again at 7:15 babble. So Georgie is the kind of baby that can stay 30 min-1 hour in his crib and just play on his own. So sometimes it's a guess to know what time he woke up.

I put him down at 9 am for his nap though. Has been sleeping for 30 mins.

Bye
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 15:46:18 pm by a_astorga »