Author Topic: Walk-in/Walk-out help!  (Read 987 times)

Offline vlh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 26, 2006, 13:48:54 pm »
My dd is 20 months and has been waking at 4/4:30 the past few weeks. She's always been an early riser no matter what time she went to bed, anywhere between 5/5:30. But 4am is too much! We are at our wits end. She goes down for bed just fine and goes right back to sleep if she wakes any other time at night. But, her 4am wake-up is the toughest, she will not go back to sleep and can cry for the next 2 hrs until we're ready to get her up. We've tried associating the light with her time to wake-up, but that hasn't worked and CIO definitely hasn't. I tried the walk-in/walk-out strategy this morning and it seemed to start working, but then it took so long, that we got right up to when I needed her to get up. So, I flipped on the hallway light and as soon as she got up again I made a big deal of the lights on and it being time to wake-up. I want to continue the walk-in/walk-out strategym but have a few questions:

1) DD is in a toddler bed and runs to the door each time I walk out. There is a gate at her door. DH thinks we should put a lock on her door and close it each time we walk out. How do others do the walk-in/walk-out strategy when your lo is not in a crib?

2) Also, do you count to 10 from the time they start crying? This morning, she did crawl back into bed for a minute the last few times, then start to cry again and come to the door.

3) If they stop crying, how long do you wait before attempting to go back to your own bed? If dd wakes again, I start the process all over?

3) Any other suggestions for this early waker? She typically goes to bed at 8/8:30, takes one nap during the day from about 12-2:30. I tried an earlier bedtime and she was still up at 4:30/5.

Thanks for the help!

Offline NicoleW

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 23:08:28 pm »
sorry i can't help much. having troubles of my own in the sleep department but one thought came to mind....

if she is going to wake up at 4 or 4:30am either way...why not put her to bed earlier so you have more time alone?
i would.plus, you never know if over time the earlier bedtime might result in longer night sleep. how long is her nap?
i'm finding with my 17mo old dd that if i keep her up longer than 4-5 hrs from nap to bedtime. she sleeps LESS in her night sleep b/c she's overtired.
good luck!
Nicole

Offline Khyan & Sahria's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: Walk-in/Walk-out help!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 00:39:24 am »
Really interested to hear what others have to say as we are in a similar situation and I was going to try a walk in/walk out type of thing but need some more advice so I'll be watching too as my DS is in a big bed too

Goodluck ! I hope you find some help in your situation really soon.

Michaela
Khyan & Sahria's Mummy

Offline vlh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 00:45:53 am »
Glad to know I'm not alone!  ;) I did try an earlier bedtime once (around 7:15) and she slept until 5am. So, I'm trying to get her to bed earlier to see if that was a fluke or not. It's hard because I don't get home from work until 6:30. Her naps have been 2-3hrs, which her teachers tell me she must not be getting enough sleep at night. I'll try the wi/wo again tonight and let you all know how it goes. I'm so tired these days though, that I'm almost tempted to take the path of least resistance and just crawl into bed with her at 4:30 so we all get that extra sleep. But, I know in the long run she'll be better off if we set some boundaries now. So tough though.