Author Topic: PUtting baby into his own room for the first time  (Read 1419 times)

Offline jennf

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
PUtting baby into his own room for the first time
« on: February 27, 2006, 03:53:32 am »
I am getting ready to put my DS into his room for the first time this week, do I need to do any transisitioning with him?  Should I keep him in his bassinet instead of putting him in his crib?  He is 5 weeks old, and I just ordered the BW and will hopefully start implementing the EASY method this week as well..  I am quite nervous!!!! 

I have bought the miracle blanket and that should be arriving any day now.  I am at my whits end...my son does not sleep during the day unless I am holding him, and when I put him down he wakes up just a few minutes later.  He sleeps at night for about 5 hours which is good but only after my husband holds him for about 2 hours to make sure he is totally asleep. 

I thought that putting him in his own room at night will be a good thing for all of us...but his naps or the absence of naps is making all of us cranky. 
Thanks for the input if you guys have any thoughts on the crib situation.  Thanks! ??? ??? ??? ???

Jackson Derrick Fritsche
                 Born Jan 18, 2006
Younger brother to Jeremy Oct 10, 1994 and Jared Cole Nov 3 1998

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
Re: PUtting baby into his own room for the first time
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 04:13:11 am »
Hi jennf.

i changed my DS to his room only 2 weeks ago (used to sleep in my room and in a bassinet too) but directly to his crib, the reason i did this, was because he doesn't wake up at night anymore, I didn't do it sooner, 'cause it was more comnfortable for me to have him next to me at nights when he woke up (not having to run to his room many times). But i guess if you change him to his room, you might as well put him in his crib, otherwise you'd have to change him AGAIN from the bassinet to his crib, and at that age for sure he wont notice that much the change.

Regarding the holding to sleep, have you tryied the pat-shush method, it will help him sleep independently... if you have any questions, i'm here to answer any way i can... the pat-shush worked wonders for my DS (it takes a while though) he doesn't need it anymore, and he can just sleep by placing him in his crib.

Offline jennf

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 04:18:59 am »
i havent tried the shush pat yet since I havent got the book yet, I ordered it off of Amazon.com.  I am anxious to get the book, but I am extremely nervous that I dont have the strength or will power to do the methods it suggests to do.  I guess I just want my DS to have a healthy sleep pattern during the day as well as night.   Wish me luck!  I will be posting again i am sure once I get the book and have tons of questions.

Jackson Derrick Fritsche
                 Born Jan 18, 2006
Younger brother to Jeremy Oct 10, 1994 and Jared Cole Nov 3 1998

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 15:40:49 pm »
well good luck, and i hope the books get there fast!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 19:13:05 pm »
In the meantime, there are several things at the top of this forum to help.  The pat/ shhh info and sleep interview to start.    :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.